Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been struggling with lots of rear end clunking for several years now, even after replacement of bushings in the anti-roll bar, trailing arms, reaction triangle and shock bushings. Most pronounced during on/off throttle in 1st or second gear and although I know I need engine and transmission mounts, the sounds were definately from the rear. Tried shaking all potential offenders, but no luck. Also, fasteners accessable beneath the rear end were snug. (Remember the beneath part)

Pulled the left rear wheel this afternoon to locate the source of a new noise in that area and found one of the three bolts to the reaction triangle had backed out and was rubbing the tire. Probably did not tighten it properly when I had it out a few years back. In fact, it's two buddies also went in another 1/2 turn. Same deal on the passenger side. Gotta talk to my mechanic...wait a minute, that's me! Went for a test ride and whaddyaknow !! Problem solved...could it be worn bushings got me under the car in the first place and I created a new issue when I failed to properly torque the six reaction triangle bolts? Astute readers will probably recognize a lesson here somewhere involving torque wrenches, but it escapes me...

And now a question about differential play. Noticed that when I had the left side up on a jack stand, and watching the drive shaft, I can rotate the brake disk 1/8" (total) before the drive shaft moves. I suppose that in an ideal world, the drive shaft should move almost immediately when the disk moves. There is a technique in the service manual that the big kids use to measure play properly, but it involves efforts than I'm neither qualified nor equiped to do. Anyone know a good number for disk rotation/drive shaft movement? Gave up in "search" mode.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
FWIW, there'd be a bit of lag between turning the wheel and the driveshaft turning due to the clutch pack in the diff.

In the grander scheme of things though, some freeplay is gonna be there regardless.
Turning the wheel (big circle) as opposed to turning the ring gear proper (small circle) just amplifies the apparent amount.

ie: your 1/8", presumably at the edge of the rotor, may only be 1/16" or less at the ring gear proper. Pie are square stuff.

All that being said, you've get less play than mine :)

Perhaps something down in the suspension and drivetrain subsection would lead more usable information, or mabe even one of the true guru's will chime in with some actual factual.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I came to this thread searching for "rear clunk". Although the clunk starting the thread is not what I'm experiencing the latter part of the question, that about wheel play is what I'm after. I have quite a sizable play before the shaft id turned (Moving the wheel) in addition I have a cluck when the shaft engages (starts turning) either clockwise or Counter clock wise. The clunk is not normal and is audible when taking off from a full stop. Normally I would think of the U-Joints but if I hold the wheel still and just move the shaft by hand near the aft u-joints there is no play. Can it be something inside the differential?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I have what I thought was a lot of play in my diff. I can turn the driveshaft a good quarter inch before the wheels start to turn. I've been told by people that know much better than I do that it's nothing to worry about, and that they've seen diffs with much more play than that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I can turn the driveshaft a good quarter inch before the wheels start to turn. I've been told by people that know much better than I do that it's nothing to worry about, and that they've seen diffs with much more play than that.
I've been told the same thing and I can move my wheels a quarter turn before the driveshaft moves!

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't forget to check the center support bushing in the drive shaft. My QV clunked on start off and on/off throttle 1st/2nd gear before BB members help me discover that problem. Unfortunately, replacement was beyond my abilities, though I did drop the shaft and have the R&R done at a shop, saving a few $$. They guy who did it (flat rate quoted) said he ended up making $10/hr on the job, so I guess it's a bear, or he was inexperienced. A torch and much cursing and swearing was apparently involved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts