Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to rebuild rear calipers.... I have the shaft off, can't get the bolts to budge on the disks. On top of it all you can't fit a socket or box wrench on it! I think when I do remove it I'm going to grind the flange to fit a socket....so next time removal won't be such a pain!!

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,566 Posts
Aren't they Allen head bolts?

We had to use good quality Allen head sockets, Snap on I think.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No... Allen was the CV joint to wheel. 15mm bolts are on the disk its self... Very hard to get leverage.....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ugh, I hate removing the rear rotors on these cars. You need lots of penetrating oil and patience.

Some box end wrenches have a smaller circumference than others. A have a very nice craftsman wrench from their professional line that I bought specifically for this job which works ok, but I’ve still managed to round off the bolt heads several times anyway.

The last time I removed the rotors was from a Milano transaxle that was very rusty and I ended up having to grind off the bolt heads to get the rotors off.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Since you apparently didn't specify, let me guess . . . . this is for an Alfetta.
It's been a long time but as I recall, my Alfetta also had 15mm hex head bolts attaching the rotors to the hubs, and not the socket head bolts used later on the GTV6 and Milano.
To make matters worse, there was not sufficient clearance around the head to use a six-point box, or even a 6-point socket, IIRC. I used a thin-walled 12-point that just fit.
Again, its been a long time and the memory fades, but it was not a fun job. Probably rounded a bolt or two before eventually loosing them all. Probably used the Alfar7 trick of welding the end of the rounded-off ones.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
I've never ever had an impact wrench fail on stuff like this.. End caps on brake master cylinders are a perfect example. ZIP ZIP done. No compressor? Local garage and box of donuts.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
****... Thanks for the encouraging words! Lol
Since you apparently didn't specify, let me guess . . . . this is for an Alfetta.
It's been a long time but as I recall, my Alfetta also had 15mm hex head bolts attaching the rotors to the hubs, and not the socket head bolts used later on the GTV6 and Milano.
To make matters worse, there was not sufficient clearance around the head to use a six-point box, or even a 6-point socket, IIRC. I used a thin-walled 12-point that just fit.
Again, its been a long time and the memory fades, but it was not a fun job. Probably rounded a bolt or two before eventually loosing them all. Probably used the Alfar7 trick of welding the end of the rounded-off ones.
Yes... Exactly! Been soaking them with W-D40. Tonight I will try again.. If not. I'll just grind off and buy new bolts!

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,566 Posts
Try PB Blaster or Kroil instead of WD40.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Picking up from another post here somewhere on Alfa BB, I did the following on my Alfetta. I carefully placed the wrench on the nut in a way that the wrench would shortly interfere with the (immovable) De dion tube, and when it did it would force the wrench in direction to loosen the bolt. Then crawled out and gently turned the jacked up tire/wheel so that the wrench and de dion tube made contact, then use the leverage of turning the tire/wheel by hand to work it's magic. Miraculously (to me) it worked. And so worked my way around the bolts on both sides easing them off half a turn using this process. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
I know the bolts you're dealing with. Gearwrench have a line of box end wrenches that have a super-skinny thin wall design. You can get a the box-end part of the wrench all the way around the 15mm head. Even though it's a thinwall you can put all your weight on it, use cheater bars and so on and it won't slip. It's a magic tool.

I think this is the part number.

Part No: 85915
Item Number: KDT85915
Bye

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You have a local gas station? muffler shop? Tire store?
Yeah ok.. Tow it there?! Hell no! I'll figure it out... Eventually...
The problem with these bolts is that there is very little space around the bolt head so many sockets and box ends wrenches will not fit.
Yep.. I might just grind them off and around the back of the flange for next time removal isn't so pain full
Picking up from another post here somewhere on Alfa BB, I did the following on my Alfetta. I carefully placed the wrench on the nut in a way that the wrench would shortly interfere with the (immovable) De dion tube, and when it did it would force the wrench in direction to loosen the bolt. Then crawled out and gently turned the jacked up tire/wheel so that the wrench and de dion tube made contact, then use the leverage of turning the tire/wheel by hand to work it's magic. Miraculously (to me) it worked. And so worked my way around the bolts on both sides easing them off half a turn using this process. Good luck!
I tried that!! Open end wrench would fall off... Might try vice grips
I know the bolts you're dealing with. Gearwrench have a line of box end wrenches that have a super-skinny thin wall design. You can get a the box-end part of the wrench all the way around the 15mm head. Even though it's a thinwall you can put all your weight on it, use cheater bars and so on and it won't slip. It's a magic tool.

I think this is the part number.

Part No: 85915
Item Number: KDT85915
Bye
Thanks... I'm grinding... I am a marble stone mason by trade... Have a 4.5" diamond blade... Cut them right off!!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Tom, in the time it takes to grind off those bolts you can go to Lowe's, Home Depot or Harbor Freight and get yourself an air compressor and 1/2" drive impact wrench, both of which you will use over and over again. And you'll be very glad you bought them, Tom. Really! Penetrating oil and shock will break them loose. Or as Stonewheels suggested, use the De Dion tube and wheel as leverage.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts