Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Went to replace the discs on our s4 the other day. On the rears I followed the manual, so calliper out of the way, undo the two screws and then remove the disc. Or so it says; the only problem being that there is _no_ way that disc was coming off with hand-power. Any ideas? Is there some other ickle nut that I'm missing? (oh and I had the hand-brake released)
Likewise the fronts, there's no mention of it in the manual, but it looks like you have to completely disconnect and remove the caliper, as there's no way the hard-lines on the hub carrier will allow them to clear the disc otherwise, correct?

Ed.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
At the front you can unbolt the little bracket that holds the hardline to the back of the hub, then move the caliper out of the way with the line still attached. (be careful about hanging it though as it takes nothing to kink the hardline)

At the rear, you may have to back off the shoes on the p-brake using the little adjuster that is accessed through the holes in the front of the disc.

Once that's backed off, the caliper is out of the way and the screws removed, if it still won't come off, then chances are it's frozen to the center of the hub. This is usually cured by a decent whacking with a BFH.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I've also learned that while working on an Alfa, you have to curse at in Italian. The car doesn't understand American words like Moth**fu**er, or B***h, etc... Need to use Italian curse words! But of course, all cars, imported or domestic will quiver when they see the BFH!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all

At the front you can unbolt the little bracket that holds the hardline to the back of the hub, then move the caliper out of the way with the line still attached. (be careful about hanging it though as it takes nothing to kink the hardline)

At the rear, you may have to back off the shoes on the p-brake using the little adjuster that is accessed through the holes in the front of the disc.

Once that's backed off, the caliper is out of the way and the screws removed, if it still won't come off, then chances are it's frozen to the center of the hub. This is usually cured by a decent whacking with a BFH.
All of the above makes sense and, basically answers my questions. If I hadn't been so tired, and if the evening hadn't been so bloody windy and cold, I'm sure i might have persevered and got there in the end. This weekend I will attack the job with new vigour and the hope of actually getting it done this time ;)
Many thanks,

Ed

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts