Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
71 Spider, changed oil in differential, still seems a bit gritty. Any way to flush or just change again ??? thanks in advance ....

·
Premium Member
22,956 Posts
You could just flush further; that's cheap.
What kind of grit? Is it ferrous/magnetic, other metal, non metallic?
Andrew

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
grit felt almost like very small sand, but seemed to sparkle a bit in sun. Had axle out to replace stripped stud and wiped from grooves at gear at end. That gear thing looked ok, but of course my non mechainical knowledge is legendary ........ axle now at shop for stud replacement .... any way to manually flush differential other than just filling, driving, doing it again ?

·
Premium Member
22,956 Posts
You mean at the outer end, axle shafts? Or inside, the pumpkin? I'm confused.
Saw your self-portrait sculpture in the latest Alfa Owner.
Andrew

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh Andrew, you know I know little about cars .... can I flush that differential out some how? I do have a fine man from Aptos, Ca.who moved here that helps me when I can get him to feel sorry enough for me .... and here's a few better shots of Sal ....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,956 Posts
The "flush" question just came up on in the tech column of the BMW club newsletter, Roundel, and the answer was a resounding No, though I forget what component it related to. I wouldn't put in anything but 80/90 or whatever similar heavy oil you're using. If you take it all apart, sure, clean it up with a good solvent. But I wouldn't pour that through myself.

Andrew

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Andrew, car sat for 20 years, first time I changed that fluid, my goodness, smelled like someone shat in there, will probably just make a couple rather quick changes and see if that helps clean things up some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts