Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I had what felt like worn wheel bearings on my 1972 2000 Berlina in the rear axle ( both sides) i could move the road wheel up down a little when jacked up it felt like play in the bearings and a knocking as you drove at low speed but no "whine" noise at high speed..

Today i have changed both rear outer bearings and new seals

The play in shaft is a little better but there is still some play if i fit the wheel and rock back and forth..

Is the inner bearing the only solution to get rid of this completely?

its only slight but i can hear a tap.. tap as i rock the wheel side to side if it's jacked up..

Any help would be appreciated.:laugh2:

thanks.

·
Richard Jemison
8,373 Posts
Bearing looseness

Re outer bearing looseness. First, do a search on the BB. This has been covered. The retaining plate isn`t clamping the bearing in the housing.
See post #10 at:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/272706-86-spider-axle-bearings.html

2nd: there is no inner bearing, it`s held by a drive flange inside the LSD unit. Any movement in the inner end is going to require re shimming the LSD`s inner clutch & rotor pack.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re outer bearing looseness. First, do a search on the BB. This has been covered. The retaining plate isn`t clamping the bearing in the housing.
See post #10 at:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/272706-86-spider-axle-bearings.html

2nd: there is no inner bearing, it`s held by a drive flange inside the LSD unit. Any movement in the inner end is going to require re shimming the LSD`s inner clutch & rotor pack.

Thanks for this link is really useful ! Cheers, Jon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.