Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on the "simplest" approach to what size speakers I should mount on the rear deck of my '74 GTV. I haven't had a sound system in my car for about 15 years. Am putting in an older late 70's - early '80s (for a more quasi "vintage" look) Alpine head unit radio with stalk dials and a cassette (which will never probably get used). My dash is already cut out for that style from when I installed my first radio a bunch of years ago that is now long gone. A separate small (50 wt) same vintage Alpine amp will be mounted under the back seat (I think).

I originally only had a single subwoofer (6x9 I think) on the back shelf and then component speakes on the under dash front map pockets (I still have my original deck panel with the single speaker cut out) I don't feel like mounting speakers in the door panels and thought the rear deck would be simplest. I assume a fairly standard 6x9 speaker would be fine. I am NOT looking for optimum sound re-creation. Simply am tired of no sound as it is now. Not necessarily looking for brand recommendations since I am reasonably familiar with that but if you had a specific size and model recomendation, have at it.

Thanks for help.

·
Registered
375 Posts
+1

I am going to be facing the same questions in the next few months once my car is back together. Will be watching this thread.

Miguel

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,632 Posts
6x9's will fit nicely in the openings in the metal under the package tray. I had a set there but my rear mounted evaporator cold air ducts had to take their place. Cold GTV and speakers in boxes sitting on the rear seats. They actually sound better there than they did on the shelf.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
speakers in boxes sitting on the rear seats. They actually sound better there than they did on the shelf.
Hmmm. Not a bad and really simple, idea particulalry since the last person to sit in my back seat was probably 20 years ago. I actually buy and sell (yard sale finds mostly) audio equipment. Don't have any mini bookshelf speakers at the moment but that could change quickly. May want to consider that. The battery operated transister radio is getting old. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the package shelf redone on my 74 GTV, and had the previous speaker holes covered with new vinyl. I mounted a pair of Blaupunkt 5-1/2" dia speakers from the bottom where the holes are (using really short screws). I put in an old Becker Europa II, and the sound is fine, and the package shelf looks unmolested. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think things look better and cleaner without speakers in the parcel tray.

I'm no audiophile, but if we're talking quality sound, my understanding is that rear speakers are not for the rear passengers, they provide a 'fill' for the guys upfront. You should rely on the front speakers for the volume and high and midrange sound, the rears should provide the lower end and bass.

I'm looking at remaking the simple rear triangular trim panels beside the rear seats and putting some 6 or 6 1/2s in there. I believe that makes the wiring simpler and there's plenty of room inside that panel for cross-overs or other tricks if that's your thing.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you don't like the look of the speakers on the back shelf you could mount them under the shelf card in the trunk and modify the card to let the sound through.

A buddy of mine, also the fellow who painted my car, made me a custom parcel shelf. He does a lot of high end custom hot rod interiors. I guess he felt bad for taking so long on the project so he made this parcel shelf as a surprise for me. Turned out pretty sharp; I don't have a better picture at the moment. I will update it later.

The speakers will mount under the screen arch so they wont be seen at all. He dressed it up with the quadrifoglio in the center. The arch is a little more modern in its styling than these cars call for but I don't mind it so much.

I am going to feel bad when I tell him that he needs to make it again to incorporate the AC vents if that's where I decide to put it.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
For my 67 stepnose, I made new panels for the sides by the rear seat, got good quality speakers and covered the whole thing in black speaker cloth. You can not tell they are there but they sound great. Then I got very small surfacemount piezo tweeters and glued them in the extreme left and right cornors below the dash, facing driver and passenger. I adjust bass and treble by the balance between the two. It works and is almost invisible.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lots of good comments. My goal was not to do much cutting or other fabrication and just add some speakers in an inconspicuous place without much effort. Agree that the best placement for the mid and highs is in the front with the bass in the back. That was how my original set-up was done. I don't spend too much time "chilling" in the car to warrant the effort for best sound quality and placement and I kinda like the "hidden approach under the rear panel. That being said I also am an audio buff so i can also see myself saying "screw it" put the speakers where they will sound the best.

I still like the real simple approach of a couple of mini bookshelves in the rear but I also don't want them to become bricks to the back of the head during "sudden stops".:eek:

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I think things look better and cleaner without speakers in the parcel tray.

I'm no audiophile, but if we're talking quality sound, my understanding is that rear speakers are not for the rear passengers, they provide a 'fill' for the guys upfront. You should rely on the front speakers for the volume and high and midrange sound, the rears should provide the lower end and bass.

I'm looking at remaking the simple rear triangular trim panels beside the rear seats and putting some 6 or 6 1/2s in there. I believe that makes the wiring simpler and there's plenty of room inside that panel for cross-overs or other tricks if that's your thing.
In general you are absolutely correct. I have 5 1/2" Focal speakers in my center console (OEM location) and 6" round Focal speakers on the rear parcel shelf (hardly any cutting required). The rear shelf will also allow you much deeper magnets (better sound quality) than the side panels. I can definitely tell you, from my experience, that the rear speakers do fill the car with MUCH more "quality" sound (bass, mid and treble) than the front speakers regardless of the fader position.

Wiring to the rear shelf is just as easy as to the rear side panels if not easier since you can access the wires under the speakers through the trunk. And in my opinion the sound will be much better with speakers in the rear parcel shelf instead of the rear side panels since the sound "reflects" off the rear window to the front of the car. My $.02

·
Registered
336 Posts
Charlie at Serpent Autosports sells some nice, relatively thin surface-mount speakers for this sort of application. Nice look, no holes to cut, relatively little work involved. John

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Make sure whatever speakers you fit are black. I once bought a GT Junior with silver speakers already fitted into the rear deck and their reflection in the rear window drove me to distraction every time I looked in the mirror.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Make sure whatever speakers you fit are black. I once bought a GT Junior with silver speakers already fitted into the rear deck and their reflection in the rear window drove me to distraction every time I looked in the mirror.
Same can be said about a "modern" deck mounted in the dash and the reflection of all the lights in the front windshield when driving at night. Terribly distracting! Vintage decks put out far less light and can be hot rodded to perform as well as modern decks including iPod connections.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Same can be said about a "modern" deck mounted in the dash and the reflection of all the lights in the front windshield when driving at night. Terribly distracting!
Boy, do I agree with that. I despise the decks that are constantly flashing and doing stupid light shows. I want to place electrical tape over the displays!

Lots of good ideas mentioned above and i still don't know what i plan to do. As usual I will probably think too much about it instead of just pulling the trigger and doing it.

jjefries: Any idea how the surface mount box speakers fro Serpent Autosports sound? I also appreciate their efforts to supply a vintage looking head unit.

·
Registered
336 Posts
sorry, have not heard such speakers (as Serpent sells), they are merely on my wish list. Didn't realize I'd still be poor by middle age and not able to buy all the cool stuff I want! Am I not entitled? They are other choices for old-style radio/head units that look good but have modern guts and decent wattage; important if your dash is only drilled for old two shaft unit....so you don't have to ruin your car by cutting a bloody great big DIN sized hole in it. A GTV is never going to be an audiophile's sound den....let's face it. Always going to be a bit loud and raucous even before you add tunes. John.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Even when I ask my 4 1/2 year old son if he wants me to turn on the radio most of the time he says, "Nah... I just want to listen to the engine!" :D:D:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts