Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Crank oil seals

My rear seal leaks and I've been given a new replacement by a kind 2600 owner.

The oil seal in place at the moment has a metal casing. Is there any advantage to using the type with the metal casing? I don't see any of the usual suppliers selling an oil seal like that so I guess the answer is no but thought I'd check before I change it. I imagine it's a modern alternative to the original seal.

For the front oil seal (which also leaks) can I use a normal puller to remove the pulley mount in the photo and thereby get access to the oil seal or is there more to it than that?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Classic Alfa say there is no reason for the metal casing on the oil seal and it was probably fitted at a time when those on sale now were not available.

Regarding the removal of the pulley mount, I carried on with my 2-leg puller but it rotated too much when being tightened so I bought a 3-leg puller. Turned it as tight as I could but still no movement. I turned away and heard a loud bang and the puller fell to the floor. Luckily I had left the pulley retaining nut on the end of the shaft or I think the whole lot would have ended up flying across the workshop. Anyway, it's off and I can now change both the oil seals.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts