Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been having a rear CLUNK whentaking a hard right turn, really only over a bumpy surface, coming from driver side rear. Checked Everything over the past year and just learned to live with it. When I say everything-- I mean it! Nothing loose in the trunk, shock tower good, mount good, trailing arm bushes and stab bar bushes good, exhaust mounting,etc etc.

Today I finally had enough! I went thru the whole rear end with pry bar and jacks, moving anything that could move. Found only the exhaust is able to really move-- but the hangar rubber rings were not broken, and I didn;t think they were stretched. BTW these are the orginial Alfa hangar rings, which have a center piece, as opposed to the replacement IAP hangars, which are simply big O rings.

Well, I replaced the rear exhaust hangar rings for IAP hangar rings--Didnt have any OEM rings--- The height of the exhaust didn;t change as near as I could tell, but guess what-- clunk is certifyably GONE. As usual, used a jack to press the exhaust up as far as possible then pulled the new orings over the hooks --- pretty simple

What I suspect is that over time , the old ones just got stretched a little bit-- enough to allow the rear can to move up into the shield, and CLUNK. The new ones still allow that, but it takes more force to get it that high and offset. Over time the rubber lost some modulus and stretched I guess.

so when all the complicated stuff fails, do like I do-- tackle the first things last and you might just find your problem!!!

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
Interesting. Usually any clunky noise I chase is simple a loose nut behind the wheel. In years of messin with systems, pipes and such, I think you have some thing when you mention the diff between the rubber ring w/the center piece vs the simpler O ring type hanger. While I'm no engineer, Chris logic suggests the O ring allows more movement as it is one big ring as opposed to what is essentially 2 very small rings which keep things too tight in my mind. I'm curious, was the car pried and jacked on with the wheels off the ground or in an "as it sets" fashion?

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
only jacked up a very little

under the driver side rear wheel, just enough for me to get in there and poke and prod on my back. I cant really explain the exact cause yet. But there is no doubt that the clunk is not there (at least today, maybe it wil return as the hangers get stretched again)

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Unfortunately the IAP aftermarket big O rings start to dry out and crack in less than a year. You have to remember to keep an eye on them to make sure they are not about to fail and replace them again before they fail completely. I had the same issue with aftermarket Volvo O rings and finally bought genuine Volvo hangers (those you can still get, fortunately). I have learned to buy only genuine article rubber parts and nothing else if I can help it.
Charles

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
Unfortunately the IAP aftermarket big O rings start to dry out and crack in less than a year. You have to remember to keep an eye on them to make sure they are not about to fail and replace them again before they fail completely. I had the same issue with aftermarket Volvo O rings and finally bought genuine Volvo hangers (those you can still get, fortunately). I have learned to buy only genuine article rubber parts and nothing else if I can help it.
Charles
I use German made hangers that fit the hooks and have a center piece as well. I have some O-ring ones made in Italy but I am phasing them out.

I even can get ones with a chain inside the hanger, similar to this:

·
Premium Member
27,383 Posts
My rear clunk in my 164B was caused by my haste in building up rear strut. Threads on strut piston were messed up on lower end and nut did not go on all the way even with air impact gun. So I had to pull strut back out and add washers under nut and now no more clunk and I mean I had a clunk big time.

Guess if I had correct thread die I could have chased threads. I think they are 10mm coarse thread on strut pistons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts