Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
what part?
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed that my brake pedal was hard to use, little travel( i run no booster, so i am use to the pedal feel) but this was diff.. i thought my fronts were draging,, so i pulled into a mbz shop, use the hose to cool down the front rotors.. hum.. they were ok, but the rear. as soon as the water hit them, lots of steam... i know it is not the rear hose, because, i did not set the handbrake, and as soon as the rear calipers cooled down with the water she drifted forward... so i drove it home.. agian rear wheel drag.. water on the calipers ( no handbrake) an as soonas the water cooled the rear calipers down, she drifter forward... i take really good care of my car, i change the brake fuild once a year, last change... 8 months ago. i am thinking about in the morning, jack up the rear, remove the calipers, take them aprt, and see if anything is wrong, any ideas here?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,610 Posts
Not so sure you can rule out the hose. If it's restricting flow it could cause both brakes to drag.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Could it be the proportioning valve?
BTW are you getting any head from that 75 at the pick and pull?
TTFN Elio in the 51st state (Canada)....LOL

·
Registered
what part?
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not proportioning valve.. the rear hose.. then you must ask yourself.. why when he pumped lots of cold water on the calipers, they released? on the head.. not this week but the first weekend of sept.. i will be pulling off the head..

·
Registered
what part?
10,892 Posts
hey , i am just useing the schooling that palin/bachman/perry got in there u.s. history class.. and the earth is only 6000 years old//my lord............ if we keep putting these people in power. i might move to canada, of try for caliofrnia to get out of the union..

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I will sponsor you if you bring the Alfa.
You can apply for "refugee" status at the border and get monthly social assistance and state health care right away...while they ponder your case. If you lose appeal....worst that can happen you get deported back...
However you should know it is cold in winter 4 months at least so you will need a winter beater to drive. The Alfa don't like the salt they use on the roads ...
Ciao for now!
OK my theory....pistons in rear calipers sticking...generate heat....disc expands...more heat..more expansion...pushes pistons back...when you quench, stuck disc cools and shrinks. pistons stay where they were pushed by the expanded hot disc, hence they are now thinner and run free....till you repeat the cycle.
Elio

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi,

I won't cool the brakes with water too often, let them cool naturally.
Remove the rear calipers and check them, if you never rebuilt them before, maybe now it's the time to do so.
Saar

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,610 Posts
The only reason I wouldn't suspect the calipers first is that it apparently started happening on both sides simultaneously. That seems too coincidental for caliper problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts