Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, am trying to disassemble the complete rear dedion sub-assembly and having removed the CV joints either side (had loosened most of the bolts when car was on ground) I have now turned my attention to removing the calipers. My goal is to separate all the components, refurbish and reassemble.

I have read on a previous related post that the way to do this is to remove the pads first, remove the rotors and slide them out before removing the caliper as the caliper bolts cannot be freed due to the rotor being in the way.

I kind of understand the principle. my issue is the brakes appear seized on driver side, and unable to move calipers hence pads. If I do manage to free them tomorrow, how would the pads come out ? surely the rotor is blocking their exit path?

appreciate any precise insights. I've dowsed all the bolts in WD40 equivalent to soak in overnight, as one of the rotor bolts was not budging. I will get them out tomorrow by hook or crook, just might get a following wind if someone can steer me in the right direction. cheers.

https://flic.kr/p/2kHBuUy

·
Registered
662 Posts
As a last resort you may need to force the pads out {dont force the piston's in} if the rotor's are worn and have a lip you may need to force the pads past the lip.

·
Registered
592 Posts
You ARE aware that the only way to retract the rear caliper pistons is by turning the mechanical adjusters? You can't push the pistons back by spreading the pads or pushing on the pistons.

If the pistons won't retract and the pads are really clamped to the rotors, remove all of the bolts holding the rotor to the transaxle and get the half shaft out of your way. Then get a length of 2x4 wood or equivalent and a big hammer, and whack on the OD of the rotor on either side of the caliper (using the wood between the hammer and the rotor). The rotor and pads will come out the bottom of the caliper. Make sure while doing this the offset part of the rotor is not hung up on the transaxle stub axle flange.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You ARE aware that the only way to retract the rear caliper pistons is by turning the mechanical adjusters? You can't push the pistons back by spreading the pads or pushing on the pistons.

If the pistons won't retract and the pads are really clamped to the rotors, remove all of the bolts holding the rotor to the transaxle and get the half shaft out of your way. Then get a length of 2x4 wood or equivalent and a big hammer, and whack on the OD of the rotor on either side of the caliper (using the wood between the hammer and the rotor). The rotor and pads will come out the bottom of the caliper. Make sure while doing this the offset part of the rotor is not hung up on the transaxle stub axle flange.
thanks both for the tips. wasn't aware of this Tom, still learning loads and lots more to learn. As the weather had brightened up today I ended up painting the dedion frame.

the pads are now moving, so I can get the rotor turning, awhich has made it nigh on impossible to loosen the bolts holding rotor, so now have to jam the calipers back. will have another go next weekend. sighs....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts