Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We are getting a rear bumper from Harrington and they want to know the spacing between the tips of the rear bumper before they make it. The problem is the bumper that came with our "basket case" car had been hit and is out of whack.

How close to the body should the rear bumper fit at the ends? How close at the back? Does it maintain an even fit all the way around? Could someone please measure these distances for us?

Thanks!
Andy

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I did a lot of work with Harringtons together with Keiron Webster on the first set of SS bumpers they made.

We had a lot of correspondence on spacing as you ask for . Please PM me your email address and I will send this on to you.

When the bumpers were received I tried them against my car as photos attached. They had been copied in Asia from originals Kieron supplied .

As you can see from the photos the stainless bumpers are the same as the original but slightly different.

Kieron has not fitted the bumpers yet so there is no as fitted reference.

Bumpers as received looked too wide - gap to wings is around 1-2 inches - bumpers as supplied looked around 4 inch. So I suggest measure the width of your spider and add 1.5 inches each side

NB the bunpers were wll made and present well

Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Look at previous posts

I now remember I have previously posted all the info - search for posts containing harringtons on this forum

·
Registered
9,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
bumper position

Andy,

On my 2 liter the gap between the bumper sides and the sheet metal is about 1/4 - 5/16s inch.

Across the rear, much more. An inch and a half, maybe.

Richard

also Colorado

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
This thread is just timely for me.

On my 2600 T, when the painter install the rear bumper he forgot to fix it on the wings.

The only parts I found to install it properly are the following :

Hand Finger Metal

Lock Finger Hand Nail Fashion accessory

Is that the good parts ?

Should the rubber part installed on this place also (wings fixation) ?

Finger Hand Nail

·
Push hard and live
11,534 Posts
The rubber bellows do not go on the sides, just the fore/aft mounting posts.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
The rubber bellows do not go on the sides, just the fore/aft mounting posts.
Serge, the rubber bellows is correct for 102 cars, but 106 cars had oval alloy spacers with a small rubber mat against the body (the spacers often break, see this thread). The side spacers look OK as per the parts catalog (and often have additional rubber washer against the body).

Motor vehicle Line art Drawing Mode of transport Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Drawing Line art

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Don and Ruedi,

Thank you for your answer (as usual).

Do you know where to find those oval alloy spacers or do you have the dimensions ?

Serge.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Check with Alfamichele (see the thread I mentioned above) if he still has some, if he could do another run and/or provide you with his drawings. You may also want to check with Herve for the rubbers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Andy,

On my 2 liter the gap between the bumper sides and the sheet metal is about 1/4 - 5/16s inch.

Across the rear, much more. An inch and a half, maybe.

Richard

also Colorado
Thanks Richard, that's what I was looking for. Is that the general consensus? That the sides are 1/4" to 5/16" away from the body and at the rear the gap is much larger, up to 1.5"? We were going to ask for 3/8" on the sides, but could go closer.

Thoughts? Could anyone else confirm theirs is this close on the sides?

Thanks, Andy

·
Push hard and live
11,534 Posts
If you're talking about a 2000, I posted pics of mine in my resto thread, but it's a long thread and I can't tell you what page to look for. I'll be home next week if you'd like pics then.

·
Registered
29 Posts
On my 2000 Spider, the gap on sides is 10mm and 16mm for the rear.
Those dimension are taken just at the fixing point.
I like the look of this fit.:thumbup1:

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you're talking about a 2000, I posted pics of mine in my resto thread, but it's a long thread and I can't tell you what page to look for. I'll be home next week if you'd like pics then.
It is a VERY long thread!:surprise: Very informative, but we almost need an index to it. Pictures and measurements would be great, thanks!

·
Push hard and live
11,534 Posts
It is a VERY long thread!:surprise: Very informative, but we almost need an index to it. Pictures and measurements would be great, thanks!
Yeah, it's a shame that the BB search function is pretty much hopeless, and the Google doesn't turn up much beyond directions to the thread.

I'll get out there tomorrow to take the pics. Gotta take the lad to Boy Scouts tonight.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Serge, the rubber bellows is correct for 102 cars, but 106 cars had oval alloy spacers with a small rubber mat against the body (the spacers often break, see this thread). The side spacers look OK as per the parts catalog (and often have additional rubber washer against the body).

View attachment 850673

View attachment 850681
A small thing and probably not really necessary, but anyone know where the rubber washers for the side mounting posts of the rear bumper for a 106 (I believe #102.04.59.251.00) can be found? Even if part of the entire mounting unit. Mine have deteriorated and are barely hanging on! Thanks so much for any advice.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Rear bumper

The bushing PS70 has in his hands, you need to install them between the rear wings and the bumper.
The bushes fall inside the bumper for about 10 mm. Measure the exact width size of the car at the point of the holes on the car. Add an extra 40 millimeters in total and you have a space on both sides of 20 mm. between the wings/fenders and the bumper.
When you have a 2000 Touring you have to use the harmonica rubbers on the 2 welded mounting points on the back of the car.
When you have a 2600 Spider, you need to us a kind of an overrider out of aluminum to slide over the 2 welded mounting points.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts