Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 167 Posts

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Edgar, Mark,

In the spare parts manual, theres are 2 different references for the 4 spacers.

It seems like they are made of a different material (2 + 2)

Best,

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Edgar, Mark,

In the spare parts manual, theres are 2 different references for the 4 spacers.

It seems like they are made of a different material (2 + 2)

Best,
Danny, in the TAV.129 part list page I am seeing only the left side indication as follows: upper corner rubber 105.64.59.490.00/02 and botton straight bumper spacer 105.64.59.490.00/01. There is no indication of these parts at all in the right side. If you are seeing something different, like 4 part numbers, please let me know.

The "set" we are developing comprises two rubbers for the left and two for the right side. So, with one set you are ok for the entire rear bumper.

I am planning to upload the first 3D parts this evening so we can check together how it fits.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Edgar,

No difference between right and left side, but between top and bottom.

The bottom 00/01 is made of "Vipla" (????)

The top one, 00/02 of plastics.

I Googled and found that Vipla is a material made of polyvinyl chloride.

No idea what it is or any difference.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Pls note that for me the material of the repro has strictly no importance.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hi Edgar,
Why don't you choose the best material that you find works and make these parts. Too much input from all of us is confusing! As long as it is made of SKP (Some Kind of Plastic), I am sure it will be fine. Almost definitely superior to the original stuff!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Edgar,

No difference between right and left side, but between top and bottom.

The bottom 00/01 is made of "Vipla" (????)

The top one, 00/02 of plastics.

I Googled and found that Vipla is a material made of polyvinyl chloride.

No idea what it is or any difference.
What a find Danny! Yes, VIPLA is a well known material. BTW plastics in the 70´s were just starting after second WW developments of Catalin, Bakelite and Plaskon.

Here is the first 3D run of the two parts made out of a rigid plastic printing thermoplastic filament called PLA (Polyactic Acid) which is made out of sugar cane in Brazil and for this reason is biodegrable.

I expect to make corrections including the proposed 10mm exposed region and generate a second set of parts but printing in a different material which is flexible, called FLEX.

For comparison there is a 8mm diameter pencil.

Mark, I will install these PLA parts in the real bumper tonight and send pictures for your evaluation.

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
Great work Edgar!
Now I am going to ask you - can you make the 2 Small Parts for the Ends of the Front Bumper? They go between the Outside Top of the Bumpers and the Small Curved Horns. I don't know anyone who makes these. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Hi Edgar,

Those parts are exciting to see. Is there a flattened D in cross section; I can't tell from the picture.

You are right there are only two different gaskets for the rear bumper:
one for the upper rear corners
one at each end of the lower center part of the bumper.

All four gaskets appear to be made of the same material. I found another photograph I took of the upper rear bumper gasket which sort of conforms to the shape of the bumper. There is a tight 'inside corner' that honestly leaves very little room for the gasket, so it tends to get distorted.

Montreal bumper corner gasket 8 or 10 mm.jpg

Mark

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Edgar, A pocco a pocco...!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Rear bumper rubber spacer

Hi Edgar,
Why don't you choose the best material that you find works and make these parts. Too much input from all of us is confusing! As long as it is made of SKP (Some Kind of Plastic), I am sure it will be fine. Almost definitely superior to the original stuff!
This is an interactive time consuming task that will pay off because we will reach a better result. Not just another repro but the best one.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Rear bumper rubber spacer

Great work Edgar!
Now I am going to ask you - can you make the 2 Small Parts for the Ends of the Front Bumper? They go between the Outside Top of the Bumpers and the Small Curved Horns. I don't know anyone who makes these. Thanks!
TAV.128 shows two different parts, left and right. I never had a part like this in my hands before. I will need pictures from a real part to make an evaluation. I propose we finish the bumper rubber spacer and then we start another thread for this one. Maybe Mark could bring some ideas about that part. Is it available anywhere? What do you think?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Here are the two initial pictures of the demo part in place:

Material: 3D printing PLA rigid
Thickness: 3mm
Exposed rubber: Circular shape with 5mm diameter

What do you think?

The next 3D demo will be:

Material: 3D printing FLEX flexible
Thickness: 2mm
Exposed rubber: "D" shape with 10mm

We expect to close the project with the second demo so next week we can produce the molds and inject the final parts using EPDM.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Edgar,

What I personnally think ?

You are a Demon !!

It looks fantastically GREAT !

Obrigado in the name of our Community.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Edgar,
Congratulations for your work.

The width of the D-shaped part on Mark's picture reads 8 mm.
I have measured on my car and it's 8 mm too.

Who not use this dimension for the next demo part?

Alain.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This looks so brilliant, Edgar. I can't wait to have these ready to go for that day in the distant future when my bumper bar is ready to go on.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Edgar, the part looks excellent! I look forward to seeing the other part for the upper corner joints.

Alain says: (about the upper corner joint)
The width of the D-shaped part on Mark's picture reads 8 mm. I have measured on my car and it's 8 mm too.
Why not use this dimension for the next demo part?

Alain, I suspect that both parts initially had the same 10 mm wide 'D' shaped molding and after installation this dimension changes to 8 mm due to the curvature of the part. Alfa would typically make similar parts like this with the same profile.

Regarding the front bumper, there is only a much smaller rubber gasket that just covers the bottom of the 'banana'.

Mark

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Hi Mark ?

Any pic pls for the banana rubber ?

I've gone through my archives and did not succeed in finding one pic with.

Thx.

Pascal.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
While searching for a picture of the banana base rubber gasket I found the following that may be helpful.

The banana gasket is rather thin (I would guess the exposed part is about 4 mm) but can be seen in the last two pictures at the end of this thread (since they are difficult to see, I'll take some close up pictures. If you have a Montreal parts book you can see this gasket there as well):

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-montreal/661105-how-take-front-end-parts-apart-2.html

Also, the rear bumper is really not all that difficult to remove, once you find the hidden bolts as shown in this thread:

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-montreal/587442-montreal-rear-bumper-removal.html

Well done Edgar!

Mark

21 - 40 of 167 Posts