Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my original message posted at Montreal Parts (johni6020) thread:

"Two steel molds are being developed and I expect to get a pair for my car and put the rest here for selling at cost which is US$30 a set (4 units) just to get the molds payed. I am planning to use EPDM and be ready early September. I will run some tests in my car bumper using 3D printing prior to final prduction"

So far I received 20 sets confirmation - each set contain 4 units - which means I am moving forward.

Thank you!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Edgar,
I too would like to confirm I will take a set. You can P.M on here when you are ready. Thanks.
Regards Geoff

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Hi, Edgar!

I will also take a set. PM or post notice here when ready to ship and your preferred payment method. Paypal?:)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your interest in the rubber spacers. I am sending PM to each one of you and I will keep you informed about the progress of this project. There is no need to send any payment at this time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Edgar,

I would also like a set of 4 bumper spacers.
Please add me to your list

Best Regards

Jeff Hecox

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to let you know I have the digital Solid Works drawings and will 3D print using FLEX polimer. If it works fine next week the two molds will be manufactured and in the week of Sept 3rd the final parts injected using EPDM material. Any suggestion is welcome at this time because this a cocreation process. Please notice that the peripheral cord is 5mm in diameter while the rubber spacer thickness is 3mm. If you feel these dimensions should be adjusted please let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Hi Edgar,

Thanks for your work on this project. The inside 'web' shape part of the gasket looks good. I suspect the web portion is only 1 or 2 mm's thick, at most. Unfortunately I've already put my gaskets back on the car and did not take any measurements.

However, the shape of the exposed gasket part (the part seen when the bumper is installed on the car) that covers the gap between the bumper segments appears to have the wrong profile in the attached drawing. I measured the best gaskets on my car and the exposed part measures ~8 to 10 mm wide, although some appeared to have shrunk and curled up some. The profile of the exposed part of the gasket is more the shape of a flattened out "D" on my parts.

Here is a link to some pictures of the bumper gaskets on my car. I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please let me know.

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-montreal/564658-rear-bumper-rubber-spacer-gaskets.html

Here is a photo of the exposed gasket that measures 10 mm wide.

IMAG5152.jpg

Mark

·
Registered
92 Posts
Spacers

Hi edgar!

I will take 2 sets = 8 pieces for my 2 montis.
Greetings and thank you for your Engagement in remanufacturing .
Gernot

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Hi Edgar,

A couple of things are probably apparent from the attached sketch. Unlike Paulo Labres, who has mad computer skills, I have none. Secondly the "flattened D" shape of the exposed gasket is attached to the 'web' area -tightly compressed between the bumper segments.

On my original gaskets, the rubber shrinkage was so significant it resulted in the exposed 'D' shaped gasket retracting between the bumper segments. This was similar to a turtle pulling his head back into its shell. Once the bolts that hold the gasket segments in place were removed, I was able to reposition the gaskets so that they covered the joints between the bumper segments again.

IMAG5154.jpg

Edgar, do you have a set of original bumper gaskets or are you working mainly using the bumper profile?

Mark

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rear bumper rubber spacer

Hi edgar!

I will take 2 sets = 8 pieces for my 2 montis.
Greetings and thank you for your Engagement in remanufacturing .
Gernot
Thanks for supporting this project Gernot! Will send you a PM.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
If it can help, I could make good pics of my original (but really used !!!) ones.

Or even ship one ?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Edgar,

Thanks for your work on this project. The inside 'web' shape part of the gasket looks good. I suspect the web portion is only 1 or 2 mm's thick, at most. Unfortunately I've already put my gaskets back on the car and did not take any measurements.

However, the shape of the exposed gasket part (the part seen when the bumper is installed on the car) that covers the gap between the bumper segments appears to have the wrong profile in the attached drawing. I measured the best gaskets on my car and the exposed part measures ~8 to 10 mm wide, although some appeared to have shrunk and curled up some. The profile of the exposed part of the gasket is more the shape of a flattened out "D" on my parts.

Here is a link to some pictures of the bumper gaskets on my car. I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please let me know.

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-montreal/564658-rear-bumper-rubber-spacer-gaskets.html

Here is a photo of the exposed gasket that measures 10 mm wide.

View attachment 1522264

Mark
Mark, thank you for your comments and ideas. I still have the original rubbers but they are not reliable to take any measurement due to the poor conditions. We agree to change the circular exposed segment diameter from 5mm to 10mm and also its shape, adopting the "D" for the straight bumper joint. We will run a 3D printing test for both models and send some pictures. My car bumper is out so is easy to do it.

Thank you again!

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
My pleasure Edgar. I wish that I had taken measurements while the gaskets and bumpers were off my car. I am glad you were positively receptive to the suggestions. I had hoped that others would add their comments or suggestions as well.

The material originally used by the factory for these gaskets has an alarming shrinkage rate. This was probably exacerbated by my cars long term storage in a hot storage unit in Arizona. I don't think there would be similar issues with the use of EPDM or I would have suggested increasing the diameter of the bolt hole, since it tended to trap the gasket in position, pulling the rest of the shrinking gasket inside the bumper seams.

Mark

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it can help, I could make good pics of my original (but really used !!!) ones.

Or even ship one ?
Hello Danny, can you get close pictures from the straight and the upper corner exposed rubber sections? Can you measure to confirm aproximate diameter of 10mm? Thanks for offering to send the part but I think we don´t need it in this moment.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rear bumper rubber spacer

My pleasure Edgar. I wish that I had taken measurements while the gaskets and bumpers were off my car. I am glad you were positively receptive to the suggestions. I had hoped that others would add their comments or suggestions as well.

The material originally used by the factory for these gaskets has an alarming shrinkage rate. This was probably exacerbated by my cars long term storage in a hot storage unit in Arizona. I don't think there would be similar issues with the use of EPDM or I would have suggested increasing the diameter of the bolt hole, since it tended to trap the gasket in position, pulling the rest of the shrinking gasket inside the bumper seams.

Mark

Mark, thank you again for the comments and suggestions. Yes, I agree about the original material. During the restauration I tried to use a material called "plastic debrum" very popular in the 60´s and 70´s cars to cover the space between two body metal parts. But it did not work.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I would like to report that Alfa has corrected issues with their rubber but this is not the case. Currently the 1992, 164-S that I purchased when it was new, is being refurbished. The rubber shift bellows for the gear selector on the transmission has turned to hard broken chunks of rubber, several of the plastic electric connectors are deteriorating and falling apart. I'd like to think that things are better now for the 4C, Giulia and Stelvio but I wonder if anything has really changed. Italians must take a lot of pride in being metallurgists; to be a polymer engineer must not be considered as an important career.

Mark

1 - 20 of 167 Posts