Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've been restoring my 1981 spider veloce (let's call her Allegra)
I haven't posted anything yet as I'm getting all my pictures together. I want to get this car on the road by the weekend so I'm hard at it.
When I got to the rear bumper, I couldn't find anything that shows an easy way to do this conversion without going back and forth to my fab shop at work.
So after trying to use the original shocks from the rubber bumpers I came up with this.
Just thought this might help others as the shocks were seized in all places and I didn't want to risk welding on them without draining them. Plus the spacing of the bolt holes on the body interfered with the two bolts on the back of the bumper.
I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Cheers!
Giovanni

·
Registered
183 Posts
That looks very good. Is that a stock bumper from an earlier Spider?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you.
I think its a late 70's stainless bumper. I'm working on the split front bumpers tonight, but at least that bracket system is well documented for that part of the job.
Cheers.
Giovanni

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi Steve, far as I can remember we got USA spec cars in Canada. The bumper my fellow Canadian is mounting is a pre 75 USA spec with overrides or daggers. These i believe were used in model years 1973 and 1974. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Cheers Neil.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Nice job Giovanni, looks good.post some pics of the front please. Having done this conversion myself I am interested in how you do yours. Like you I built my own brackets and made some mods on the shock mounts. Cheers Neil.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My 1980 Spider is a US market car with the big rubber bumpers and the speedo is both in MPH and KMH. My 1979 is a Canadian market car with again the big rubber bumpers but the speedo is in KMH only. Likely the only difference.

Nice job on the bumpers!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So here's a picture of the front bumper bracket I fabbed up. I followed the blueprint here on the board which put the bumpers way too far forward. So where you see the marking, that leg I shortened and bent the ends a bit for the changed angles. I then moved on to the next one which was a copy and it went on first try. Granted I made the holes a little bigger which allowed me some adjustment, but couldn't be happier with the results.

Cheers!
Giovanni

·
Registered
317 Posts
Good job Giovanni, looks good. You should have emailed me, I would have given you the plans. Hey how about pic's from the top side so we can see the how far they stick out? Btw are you going to use the overrides or try to get a hold of some rubber without the holes? Keep the pics coming, Cheers Neil.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello Neil.
My new years resolution is to pay more attention when I read. I saw those original detailed plans and sparks were flying one hour later. I am running out of patience because we're running out of time here in Edmonton
I just want to drive this baby.
As for your idea... i have the spades which are in good shape but i have to give it some thought on how those get installed. one has a broken seized bolt which can wait to be removed. So now I have two questions for you.
Do you have the plans on how to install them?
Can i just buy the replacement rubber with no holes?
Thank you in advance.
Cheers
Giovanni

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi Giovanni yes you can buy the rubbers, but they are expensive. Put the overrides on for now. A good used set comes up from time to time. Ebay ect.... I will send you a photo of the prototype I made. You'll get the idea. Will need to remove that broken bolt. Cheers Neil.

·
Registered
298 Posts
rear bumper conversion

What size square stock did you use? Do you have any measurements?

Nice job!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you George
On the drivers side it's a 2x4x3/16
On the passenger side I started with the same but ended up cutting and welding on an extra inch. I needed the extra space for the fasteners and in my case the bumpers were repaired and something was off on that side. I didn't want to go to my shop and re-mill the holes in a 2x6 so I made do.
I don't have the measurement but if you look at the picture you can see the 2x4 was cut about 3/4" bigger than the hole spacing.
Let me know and I will throw up some more pictures.
Cheers
Giovanni

1 - 20 of 20 Posts