Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 1750 veloce.
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Alfisti.
I was happily removing my rear rotors, and I read a thread( i think the car in question on that thread was a S4) on here that mentioned using the spy holes on the hub to back off a couple of screws that would back off the handbrake shoes. I found 2 allan head screws and gave them a turn, they came off. After playing around a bit,I realized that the back off is actually a toothed gear. The problem, oh wise ones of the AR boards, is how to replace those broken allan heads? They had springs around them and I think they're used to keep the shoes in place. Is removal of the axel necessary or can they be replaced by removing the friction plate.Is there an alternative fastener? If so, the friction plate nuts have a odd shaped ring at the end, almost like tamper proofing. I tried to turn them but to no avail. Any advice? Btw the car is a 70 kammtail spider with ate discs..

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
You and I both learned the same hard lesson. I bought a set of used rear break components and salvaged the 2 I broke. (I learned after one side how the system actually works). I found that getting replacements for those highly specialized aluminum retainers is about impossible short of buying a set of junk rear brake assemblies. Since then I had to part out an Alfa that really deserved better, so I may have some extras. Let me look over my precious hord of spares and see if I have any extras. How many do you need? Hopefully not all 4.

Robert Hill in Memphis, TN

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You and I both learned the same hard lesson. I bought a set of used rear break components and salvaged the 2 I broke. (I learned after one side how the system actually works). I found that getting replacements for those highly specialized aluminum retainers is about impossible short of buying a set of junk rear brake assemblies. Since then I had to part out an Alfa that really deserved better, so I may have some extras. Let me look over my precious hord of spares and see if I have any extras. How many do you need? Hopefully not all 4.

I need 2. The other side came off easily. IAP has parts listed as brake shoe retainers. Are these what they're called? Also how are they installed? I am too afraid to touch the others. Do they have a" t" head where you slip them in and 1/4 turn to lock? Or am I looking at removing the axle or friction plate?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IAP has them listed. They look easy to replace, basically slip them in and turn 1/4 turn. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Glad to learn that IAP has them, even if at $8.00 each. And Eric, as always, is right there with heplful advice and illustrations. Thanks, Eric.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts