Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to change the pads to on the 164S. Left rear wheel was worn down to the metal, yikes! So, i was expecting something close on the right side and, i estimate the pads had about 60-70% left. I installed new pads on both wheels at the same time the last time I replaced them. What gives...any theories?

TIA
Rob In Nor-Cal

·
1991 164L
27,635 Posts
Had to change the pads to on the 164S. Left rear wheel was worn down to the metal, yikes! So, i was expecting something close on the right side and, i estimate the pads had about 60-70% left. I installed new pads on both wheels at the same time the last time I replaced them. What gives...any theories?

TIA
Rob In Nor-Cal
Dead (frozen) parking brake cable on one side so only one side has a parking brake.

Just had same thing on a 91 164L I ended up with to get running again.

Changed pads and passed state inspection but still hve to change bad cable assembly in my spare time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frozen E brake cable

....Steve, thanks for the help. So the side with the pads worn to nothing is the side with the frozen cable?

·
1991 164L
27,635 Posts
I found side with lining left was side with frozen cable.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Emergency Brake Cable Frozen

ok - so that makes sense. The side that could not/would not move could not actuate the brake...it was late last night! Did you replace with a used one from a donor car?

·
1991 164L
27,635 Posts
ok - so that makes sense. The side that could not/would not move could not actuate the brake...it was late last night! Did you replace with a used one from a donor car?
I haven't replaced bad cable yet. Once I reown the car or reach agreement with current owner about what to fix and cost, it will probably get done.

Since A/T tranny 164 I am currently relying on P position on shifter. Which by the way most people do on A/t models so reason why problem may exist in first place.

I have good used spare I think and also have new cables in stock.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
My 91L had a bad park brake auto adjuster on the left rear wheel which cooked the brakes twice before it was diagnosed and repaired. My mechanic straightened out the flanges on the internal adjuster cage and it has worked fine ever since. However, a later mechanic also installed a helper spring to assist the park brake lever to retract when the handbrake was released.

Frozen brake cable should not affect the adjuster because it is the foot brake that activates the adjuster when taking up the initial clearance. However, perhaps a frozen brake cable might prevent the adjuster from taking up the slack and so lead to less wear on that side?

·
1991 164L
27,635 Posts
My 91L had a bad park brake auto adjuster on the left rear wheel which cooked the brakes twice before it was diagnosed and repaired. My mechanic straightened out the flanges on the internal adjuster cage and it has worked fine ever since. However, a later mechanic also installed a helper spring to assist the park brake lever to retract when the handbrake was released.

Frozen brake cable should not affect the adjuster because it is the foot brake that activates the adjuster when taking up the initial clearance. However, perhaps a frozen brake cable might prevent the adjuster from taking up the slack and so lead to less wear on that side?
I agree as frozen cable side had plenty of pad left on QS2 the 164 I just changed rear pads on. So please let us know if cable frozen on side of your 164 with the thicker pad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts