Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1974 1600 Junior
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one rear disc that refuses to come off. And yes, I've slackened off the handbrake and removed the two screws. I have used PB blaster, heated it up and beat it a bit with a small hammer with no luck. I want to take a bigger hammer to it but, can I damage the stub axle if I get too aggressive?

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Did you try a puller? Try a three armed puller with maybe 40-50 ft-lbs on it and smack the screw head of the puller with a steel hammer about as hard as driving in a nail... the shock might pop it

·
Registered
1974 1600 Junior
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My puller isn’t big enough so I tried to buy one locally and no one has one big enough. There are brake drum/disc pullers online but they’re $100 I’ll only use it once! It’s going back together with anti-seize compound ....

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
I want to take a bigger hammer to it but, can I damage the stub axle if I get too aggressive?
Well, you can certainly damage something if you get too aggressive - I'd guess the disk would bend or fracture before the axle - but yea, this might not be a job that would benefit from "going cave man".

How about applying heat to the disk in the area of the axle hub? More penetrating oil? Continued shocks with a small hammer?

·
Registered
1974 1600 Junior
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I'll have to play the waiting game and soak it and heat it over a day or so.

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
FYI.. a Google search will bring you right back to the ABB in a number of threads. "alfa rear rotor removal"

Also whether you go this route or not ... the puller... Autozone has a tool lending program.. You leave a sizable deposit and get 100% back when you return the tool.. I think the heat and PB Blaster for a few days will yeild results, a lead hammer or a rubber mallet seem to be the wield of choice

·
Registered
1974 1600 Junior
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - will probably pick up a dead-blow hammer today. My old one disintegrated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts