Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I had the brake caliper rebuild from a local shop. I notice that the rear brake piston hasn't the typical cut off design. There is only a slight signs of the cut off. It is possible that after 50 years of usage the piston have worn out so much? I attache some photos. Thanks.

Attachments

· Administrator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
13,368 Posts
What year and model Alfa are you working on?

If that is an ATE caliper from a 105 series car, then the piston and dust seal just look odd to me. The part of the piston that contacts the brake pad - and has that step - should be larger in diameter.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would not expect the piston to wear. Do you know if the shop re-used the old pistons or perhaps bought replacements?
He said he reused the pistons. Not replacement. I also think that piston wear is really strange. Unfortunately I don't remember if the pistons were so worn before the rebuild.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What year and model Alfa are you working on?

If that is an ATE caliper from a 105 series car, then the piston and dust seal just look odd to me. The part of the piston that contacts the brake pad - and has that step - should be larger in diameter.
I'm working on a '72 GT 1300 Junior. The front pistons are 48mm, rear 38mm, if i don't remember bad. The front piston had an evident cut off design, the rear had no cut off. I attached you a photo of the front.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.