Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alfisti:

I was trying to replace the rear brake hose on my '71 Spider, and since all was grimy back there, I removed all components, including the brass union that is mounted on the differential housing, and to get rid of the grease, I soaked it in paint thinner. Then, I looked inside, and in one of the holes, noticed what could be either a seal that disintegrated with the paint thinner, or grease that managed to get all the way in. Question is, are there supposed to be seals in the brass union, or is it all metal-to-metal compression fittings? Also, the braided hose I will be using (bought as set from Centerline) seems to be about 1/8" longer than the one I took off, so when I tried to fit it on the union, it did not seem to "bind" firmly at the end of the travel. Should I just torque it till it goes no more or buy another hose?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
I installed the same braided line in that fitting and saw no rubber seal so I think it's just metal to metal.

I wouldn't overtighten the fittings. Make sure that the threads are perfectly clean, then lube them with a little brake fluid or vaseline and run them down all the way by hand, then tighten gently with a wrench.

I think one end of the hydraulic line has different thread so make sure you're installing it the right way. I somehow managed to ruin the fitting and had to get another one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts