Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.. this is on my freinds 68 gt jr,1300.. his brake front and rear calipers where frozen..i rebuilt them.. the rear hose( body to axle) was collapsed. replace it with a braded staniness steel line.. the master in under the floor..i cannot get the bubbles out of the rear. the front's yes no bubbles at all, good blead.. but the rears..2 liters of fluid later..bubbles.. the parts on the car look 40 years old.. the car is in perfect shape.. but the brakes ..no,,i am now thinking that the master brake cly. is bad also.. would this cause the problem i am looking at?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Sorry, I can't help with an answer but you might get more responses if you posted the question in the correct section of the BB (Brakes & Suspension)

·
Registered
268 Posts
brakes and suspension indeed. But also : take apart the rear brake balancer, it is most probably stuk, and will make bleeding the rears hard.
Also: if pumping through newly rebuilt calipers for the first time with an old Master cilinder, one tends to push past the normal travel of the plunger inside the MC. This being an old one, a groove has developed over time. Now, with the increased travel due to the bleeding, the seals on the plunger have 'hooked' on the grooves, and are now leaking internally. Replace the MC, clean up the balancer, and there you go. Have you also checked the booster? Op in up, it's easy. Check if no brake fluid inside!!
Good luck!
Rik

·
Registered
554 Posts
OK, this is gonna sound stupid but I've seen it happen. Make sure the bleader is at the top of the caliper. I know, I know, like I said, I've seen it happen.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Good one..... it does happen!
Done anything yet?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts