Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Odd that you should reply today. LOL. I just adjusted mine again today. Inners were fine. couldn't get a .001" feeler gauge between rotor and pad on those. Outers were loose, but nothing like what you're experiencing. .
I was thinking maybe the discs are off and they are pushing pistons so I have grind the discs and indeed they ware off center and now the gap is 0.15 after a while but on all 4 pads. Strange. I also did not use handbrake this time.
Maybe the surface on pads and pistons must be very smooth for proper piston self adjustment. If the pistons do little movement around their axis when they self adjust and the surface is not smooth, maybe that can affect. :001_unsure:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Brand new rotors and pads. Both calipers need frequent adjustments on the outside "non-handbrake" pistons.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Just rebuilt both rear calipers, new rotors and pads, adjusted clearances and pressure bled the whole system several times but the pedal seems low now. If the clearance is off, does that effect the pedal height?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If they're really too far out, yes. Can't hurt to try readjusting and then do a quick re-bleed.

Make sure the e-brake cable is loose. Then use two 0.004" feeler gauges and basically tighten the adjusters against them until they're held snugly in place against the disc, then tighten up the adjuster. There's an Alfa tool to tighten the nut while holding the adjuster in place with an allen wrench, but if you have a pass-through ratchet that works as well. Once everything is adjusted, stomp on the brake a bunch of times, then adjust the slack out of the e-brake cable.

Once I nailed down the procedure I was able to consistently get good pedal feel and also proper self-adjustment over the life of the pads. You can tell if your adjustment is off if the e-brake handle starts taking a lot of clicks to engage fully.

I'll add that I've found that with new pads sometimes the pedal seems long until they fully bed. Also make sure you're not leaking fluid at the rear anywhere (I bought a rebuilt rear Milano caliper once that came to me missing the seals between the caliper halves :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
466 Posts
All the rebuilt calipers ive had over the years always required frequent adjustments to maintain clearance and pedal feel...the ones Ive rebuilt myself completely are perfect. I think the re builders miss or dont bother with the inner bits like they should be...theres a lot of complexity there that I doubt theyre touching

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
If they're really too far out, yes. Can't hurt to try readjusting and then do a quick re-bleed.

Make sure the e-brake cable is loose. Then use two 0.004" feeler gauges and basically tighten the adjusters against them until they're held snugly in place against the disc, then tighten up the adjuster. There's an Alfa tool to tighten the nut while holding the adjuster in place with an allen wrench, but if you have a pass-through ratchet that works as well. Once everything is adjusted, stomp on the brake a bunch of times, then adjust the slack out of the e-brake cable.

Once I nailed down the procedure I was able to consistently get good pedal feel and also proper self-adjustment over the life of the pads. You can tell if your adjustment is off if the e-brake handle starts taking a lot of clicks to engage fully.

I'll add that I've found that with new pads sometimes the pedal seems long until they fully bed. Also make sure you're not leaking fluid at the rear anywhere (I bought a rebuilt rear Milano caliper once that came to me missing the seals between the caliper halves :rolleyes:)
Adjusted mine, all good. Drove the car on a short trip and yum, smell of burning brakes. Went back under, readjusted although they weren't that far out. Stomped on the brakes and now they're too tight again! ***.

And also, the alfa manual says .25mm or .01" so where are you getting .004"? That's not even in the ballpark.

Really annoyed with this right now...

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
See the Milano Service Manual page 22-32. Spec is 0.1-0.15mm (0.004-0.006"). Honestly the exact value isn't that important so long as (a) it's tight enough that the pads can firmly contact the disc on your first stop, and (b) it's not so tight that the pads drag and you can't spin the wheel. Once you make that first stop the pads should basically self-adjust to where they're just kissing the disc just like any other disk brakes.

Sounds like your pads may not be retracting. Could be a bad flex hose, or maybe you took too much slack out of the e-brake cable adjustment.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
See the Milano Service Manual page 22-32. Spec is 0.1-0.15mm (0.004-0.006"). Honestly the exact value isn't that important so long as (a) it's tight enough that the pads can firmly contact the disc on your first stop, and (b) it's not so tight that the pads drag and you can't spin the wheel. Once you make that first stop the pads should basically self-adjust to where they're just kissing the disc just like any other disk brakes.

Sounds like your pads may not be retracting. Could be a bad flex hose, or maybe you took too much slack out of the e-brake cable adjustment.
Hoses are SS and look good. I was wondering about cable adjustment but my cable did have a rather long travel on it so I don't think that was the problem.

So is it normal for the pad clearance to lessen after adjusting properly and then stomping on the brake? Or should it return to the same feeler gauge settings as before the pedal stomp?

Also, my service manual says .25mm or .010". I'm looking at it right now. I've noticed other differences in posts I've read about rear brake adjustment. Did Alfa change the clearance? Or does it matter depending on model of car? Seems strange that measurement would change.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I just readjusted my calipers at least 10 times and every time, I stomp on the brakes and they tighten up to where the feeler gauge won't fit anymore. They aren't tight enough to keep the wheel from turning but the specified clearance is gone. I'm thinking the self adjusting is more "self adjusting" than I thought and the clearance is just to get the pads close enough so that the adjusters can do their job.

But I still don't understand why my pads were burning on my left caliper before this. I can see evidence of this with a white scorching on the pads but my disc still looks ok and hopefully the pads aren't cooked....

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I just readjusted my calipers at least 10 times and every time, I stomp on the brakes and they tighten up to where the feeler gauge won't fit anymore.
I'm pretty sure that's completely normal but I don't have my Milano anymore to check. That's why I recommended stomping on the pad a few times before adjusting the parking brake cable.

Dunno what to tell you on the spec but I always used 0.004" on my Milano and it worked fine. I hazily remember seeing 0.010" somewhere and I think it was a typo, everyone on here used 0.004"

21 - 30 of 30 Posts