Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any trick to putting the rear axles back into the car?

Publio

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
More of a caution than a trick. Do not allow the axle to rest on the seal as the axle is being pushed into the axletube. The weight of the axle can compromise the new seal. Lube the seal with gearoil.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a trick to get the seals out? Mine do not want to come out.

Publio

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The proper way is to use a seal puller like the one pictured. Another way is drill a small hole in the seal (coat the drill bit with grease; the metal shavings will stick to the grease and not go in the axletube) screw a sheetmetal screw into the hole and pull the seal out with pliers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about reassembly of the axle shafts into the car. How tight are the bolts holding the backing plate onto the car suppsoed to be? And I do not pack these bearings do I? I believe they are already sealed, correct?

Publio

·
Registered
121 Posts
Don't have the manual right in front of me, but I believe they get around 40 or 50 ft/lbs. But getting a torque wrench on them is a bear... there's a whole lotta "stuff" in the way. Try a crow's foot on the torque wrench. 17mm, I believe. Don't loose those funky little spring loaded locking nuts either, you'll need them

Also, you'll need access to a hydraulic press, or take the axle shafts to a machine shop for removal and replacement. There's a 6mm (1/4 inch) spacer between the bearing and the end of the shaft that isn't shown in the repair manual. You need to be sure this is still good (and that the machinist doesn't toss it), or get some new ones... only $5 or $6 each. You can visit www.alfapartscatalog.com and take a look at their illustrated parts breakdown for spiders to get a look. They're for a series 4, but the rear ends are essentially the same.

If you take them to a machine shop (recommended), disassemble the parking brakes. Machinists like to squirt lots of oil on the bearings and keepers to help pull them off and press them back on.

Yes, they are sealed... no packing required.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I had the machine shop replace the bearings. I have changed everything but upon reinstall this morning the bearings make a lot of noise when I turn the wheels. Am I missing something?

Publio

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
If you have correctly assembled the spacer, bearing and retainer and if the rear seals are correctly inserted (depth) you should have no noise from the bearings. The differential noise is what you might be hearing (normal gear noise). Or is it the parking brakes rubbing?

Suggest you raise the rear axle on stands so wheels are free and run the car. Listen to the noise source with a stethoscope.

I did my bearings and other than the machine shop work it was real easy, no issues.

Elio

"Donne e motori, Gioie e dolori!"

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats the thing. The noise is coming from the bearings. I had the machine shop install them. I'll take them back off and take a picture and post it here..

Publio

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
When I spin them off the car they are quite although difficult to turn. On the car they make noise....strange?

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
- did the same on my GTV, when I re-assembled with the axle in the car spinning the wheels, I was surprised too about the noise I could still hear.

Finished it up anyways, and the axle is very quiet when you drive - so maybe give it a try. 'Could be that your diff is making the noise not your axle bearings.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I installed the wheels with the "noisy" new bearings. Drove the car around today and no noise! WhooHoo! Now I am off to get the mirrors to work right, install the new speed cable and find me a newer spider column tree and I will be set!

Publio

1 - 14 of 14 Posts