Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

I'm trying to replace the rear bearings in my GTV6. I have borrowed the factory bearing removal tool, but I'm stuck removing the hub. I have the factory tool that pushes on the spindle, but not the piece that holds the spindle in so the hub will pull out.

I tried making one using a bearing separator and some angle iron and threaded rod. I think I need to up the sizes a bit as it just bends the angle iron.

I have also been trying to attach a slide hammer but it seems that most of the FWD hub puller attachments are designed for a 5x100 bolt pattern and it won't quite fit over the GTV6 bolt pattern.

I also saw someone used an old wheel as the puller, but I'm not sure how they attached the slide hammer behind the wheel.

If anybody has any other tricks I'm all ears. Ideally I'd like to figure out a slide hammer solution as I won't have access to the factory tool forever.

FWIW a 1/2" Harbor Freight Earthquake impact wrench knocked the 36mm axle nut off easily. After I ground down a 36mm impact socket to fit.

Thanks!
Ian

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Hi there, when I did this in the spring I used a three jaw puller and then just used wood to block the inner hub from moving inboard. There is a picture in this post.
I found I needed to make the wood quite square, you can see I shimmed it with the handle of a brass brush. In theory it shouldn't be too crazy as the two inner hub parts are barely a slip fit on install.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know, I can try that again. I did try some wood but it apparently wasn't square enough and just dented the wood. I also have a three jaw puller I can try. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I've used chunks of metal tubing / big impact sockets wedged in behind to keep the inner hub from moving.
Outside of getting rusted torsion bars from their mounts, this is the most PITA job on these cars. Going back in is equally awkward. Use hot and cold to your advantage.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The slide hammer finally got it.

But I need to find another way to attach the slide hammer if I have to give back the factory tool. I might have to make something. Or grind down the FWD hub attachment.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Ian,
There is no big hurry on getting the tools back. There is another set near me I can borrow if I need them.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ian,
There is no big hurry on getting the tools back. There is another set near me I can borrow if I need them.
Thank you that is much appreciated! The push is to get it done so I can move on to the next project.

I got the lock nut out, the factory tool was invaluable. I rented a 4WD axle tool to see if it would work but it didn't.

Next up is pulling out thr bearing, but first I have to go pick up a Bugeye Impreza TS Wagon I just bought!

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ian,
Just curious how you hold the back of the spindle when you're pulling the hub?

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
As a point of interest. I watched Larry Jr, from APE, drive a pair of hubs off with a drift, a BFH, and substantial effort. YMMV

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a point of interest. I watched Larry Jr, from APE, drive a pair of hubs off with a drift, a BFH, and substantial effort. YMMV
Was the DeDion already off the car? I can't see doing that with it still on the car.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If you leave the axle shafts installed the tool pushes against the spindle which ends up pushing against the bearing on the other side of the car. When the Dedion is out I just use a port-a-power between the two bearing housings.
There should of been two tools there, the first removes the bearing retaining nut and the second pulls the bearing out and pushes the new one in. I all ways put some grease on the outside of the bearing before I install it.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The slide hammer finally got it.

But I need to find another way to attach the slide hammer if I have to give back the factory tool. I might have to make something. Or grind down the FWD hub attachment.
That is one messy crime scene there. 😁

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is one messy crime scene there.
I was hoping nobody would notice! Lol.

That's a combination of multiple tools for multiple attempts, frustration, and working in the wrong garage. At 50 I'm much better about putting tools away as I use them these days. But not when my toolbox is 100 ft away.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And of course pulling the bearing out was simple and only took 5 minutes.

Tomorrow the new one goes in, it's in the freezer now. I also cleaned up a little and moved the un-needed tools out of the way.

All the suspension rubber is next on the list. I already had to replace one shock bushing that just fell out it was so worn out.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Registered
74 Posts
And of course pulling the bearing out was simple and only took 5 minutes.

Tomorrow the new one goes in, it's in the freezer now. I also cleaned up a little and moved the un-needed tools out of the way.

All the suspension rubber is next on the list. I already had to replace one shock bushing that just fell out it was so worn out.

LOL! 😄 Never intended to 'garage shame' you there ... standing down the garage police.

Reactions: Joe149

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No worries, it's all good. I needed a little push to go clean up a little.

I realized I need to remove the race from the hub then I can push in the new bearing. Hopefully it will be on the road again by Monday!

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Going back together is going much faster.

I used the bearing separator to pull the race off the spindle.

Then after leaving the bearing in the freezer overnight it went in easily.

The Castelated nut is back on, the spindle and nut are back on, and the half shaft is reattached.

Tomorrow I just need to torque the halfshaft nuts, reattach the shock and sway bar then go for a drive and see how it sounds! The old bearing is definitely crunchy.

After all the previous struggle this part only took about an hour including cleaning up parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts