Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So first the left rear parking brake falls apart. Then the left rear brake caliper has a frozen piston. Now the left rear bearing goes out. No big deal, just remove axle and replace. Except when the bearing went so did the retaining nut. All the threads pulled out. And of course the threads on the axle were damaged also. So it looks like that LSD axle I've had for 12 years will be going in after an R&R [being a packrat pays sometimes]. This axle came out of a Berlina so I don't anticipate any problems putting it in the Super [yeah right]. My question is, would it be worthwhile to adapt the Berlina rear sway bar to the Super?

·
Premium Member
21,386 Posts
You'd have to drill holes in the body for the say bar brackets.

It's not the axle itself that's different, it's the long trailing arm rear attachment bolts that allow you to install the sway bar. You can use them with any axle.

I don't know if later Supers had rear bars or not. For track use, I'm sure people add them; for street use I don't know. It will tend to make the car understeer less and oversteer more, especially if you have a large non-stock front bar.

Andrew

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be honest I'm pretty happy with the cars handling now with no rear bar so I think I'll just leave it that way. The LSD was something I was going to do anyway, so its just sooner than later.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Since I have both a Berlina and a Giulia ( Giulia has no sway bar), I'm wondering why Giulia rear end almost never understeer ( it has an Alfetta strong 2000 engine) while Bernina's end is going always with the sides! This is real fun.
But, the sway bar suppose to be there in Berlina for the opposite?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the long trailing arm bolts so I may use them so if I want to put the bar in later they'll already be in place. Has anyone else had the retaining nut pull its threads with bearing failure?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts