Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1993 Spider have a hint of rear axle vibration or chatter when setting off in 1st gear. I thought it best to get it sorted before we go on a road trip in Sept.

I don't have the greatest mechanical experience with this car yet, or indeed with rwd cars of this age in general. I thought about a few potential sources for the vibration might be rubber components getting old and rotting? Maybe the transmission mount? Could u-joints cause this vibration on the Spider or maybe a driveshaft bearing?

Any advice on how to diagnose, inspect or locate the source of the problem would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a proper garage lift, so best i can do is jack up the rear and crawl under. :eek:

BTW, if anyone would happen to have the OEM part numbers for the rubber components that would be a big help too. :)
Cheers
Peter

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Tranny mount usually causes a thumping sound in the tunnel just behind the seats. Usually in first gear on takeoff...Up hill becomes more obvious.
Vibration in the center could be Ujoint in the rear...at all speeds.

Bushings usually cause poor handling and not vibrations. Wandering.
Wheel bearing usually cause grinding.

Center driveshaft bearing would be a whirling sound..even squeeking sometimes.

Donut connecting tranny end and driveshaft will break and cause serious thumping and vibration at all speeds.

There is also a center grease fitting that lubes the spline joint. As the car handles the road the joint moves.

Hope this helps...
Stan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Stan thats a big help!

There is definteily a grinding, or low thumping sound on takeoff from first gear. Feels like the rear axle is being pushed backward a few notches as the car starts to move.. I guess that would translate into tranny mount problem? Whats the recommended fix for this?

There is also some vibration when driving is a straight line, but seems to be around 50-55 mph which i thought might be a wheel balancing problem, or perhaps a four wheel allignment jobbie. I didn't get to do many miles in the car yet, so still getting to know it.

There doesn't appear to be any grinding or whirling sounds at speed, so I'm optimistic to the problems not being too serious. There is also some wandering on spirited cornering, but not sure what to expact from the car yet in terms of handling. Getting new red koni's in hopefully next weekend, and will have a look see at the bushings while im there. Car only did 65.000 km, so i hope it should be in relative good shape.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just did my u-joints and motor mounts, but the thump-thump-thump is still there, so my issue must be with the tranny mount.
When willI learn to ask the experts before diving in:eek:

Thanks for the info, Stan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts