Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
what part?
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think it specs out to be 1.5 qt.. what about putting 2 qts in..cover the bearings better, keep them cooler..

·
Registered
what part?
10,272 Posts
just a thought...( shure, those alfa engineers didn't know what they were doing...) so all the ' mod's ' that people here have done, are for naught?mega squirt, turbos, lighting gears, other igntion system that even part stores sell to us?bigger cams?..

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
I don't get the performance mods with sump capacity comparison. :confused:

Bearings sitting in more oil will increase the rolling friction and therefore increase the temperature. Not to mention possible aeration of the oil and foaming issues.

·
Registered
what part?
10,272 Posts
not to be rude.. but that spinning diff.. at highway speeds... oil foaming?...............sorry, with the past 6 days raining,, can't finish the car, just need to repace the speedo drive gear, and seal the exhaust,, been waiting for a week to do this now,,

·
Registered
293 Posts
just a thought...( shure, those alfa engineers didn't know what they were doing...) so all the ' mod's ' that people here have done, are for naught?mega squirt, turbos, lighting gears, other igntion system that even part stores sell to us?bigger cams?..
Pre-'75 Alfa designed just about everything "right", and you can't fairly compare the technology of that day with parts much (as in decades) newer. e.g. install headers and a big exhaust on a '74 Spider, and you'll get worse performance and longevity, not better. Take off the Spica air filter and install something else, again, worse performance. Use a newer synthetic oil in the gearbox, guess what? And on and on . . .

Once the government starting getting involved, of course, things changed for the worse, and that's why we can't buy new Spider's anymore

Yes, I do have a breakerless ignition on my '74, but the only real performance advantage is reliability and much less maintenance. Other than that, it's just like it came from the factory.

·
Registered
554 Posts
As for the diff, the lip seals in the axle tubes are inboard of the hub bearings anyhow so diff oil does not touch the bearings unless your seals are bad in which the diff oil will soak your bearings, emergency brake shoes and eventually the insides of your wheels...

·
Registered
what part?
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...ok ..i get the point...+ today..not raining, can get some work done

1 - 8 of 8 Posts