Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the easiest fix for end bushings that are loose. On hard corners, the rear end moves laterelly enough that the tires rub on the limit straps!
I have heard that new bushings are hard to install.
Easier to replace the assembly with a newer one??
Randy

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, Roger! But the trailing arm bushings look OK.
I took a good look under the rear for the cause of a 'rubbing' sound when cornering, and I noticed that the tires showed rubbing marks on the inside. I then took a screwdriver and pried between the T-bar and it's body side bushings. The whole rear end easily moved sideways....a lot!!
Never had this so bad on an early 105 type car. I'm sure that the bushing carrier should be a tighter fit, even with worn rubber.
Randy

·
Registered
250 Posts
I' ll bet the shims have disintegrated that fit between the T-bar and the body bushings. If so,start there; easy and cheap.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Certainly will be the thrust washers between the t-bar and the end bush - these are cheap and are also available in polyurethane, but unfortunately are not so easy to change! You need to get the end bushes off to change them. That is a burn out job and cutting & removing the outer and inner metal sleeve and fitting new bushes when you put it all together, totally do-able job but a pain in the *** and not 5 minutes.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
..hi , i made my shims out of 1/4 " poly sheet i got from capital rubber here in sacramento, but any local rubber suppy shop should have it.. i used a reaaly hot soup can to cut the outside of it and peice of 1" copper tubing to cut the inside hole out,, also heated really hot.. kind of melted thru to get the shape i needed...to instale?? i just cut a slit from the inside hole to the out side, and just twisted a wee bit and sliped it in,, took all of 15 mins to do the whole job.. but you must take out the old spacer..if it's still there.

·
Registered
563 Posts
slitting it is cheating really and you have no guarantee it won't work its way out...

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the suggestions!
I really think that it is more than the plastic shims. driver side ( left for those in the Mother Country ;^) ) shim is still there and the t-bar moves left maybe 1/2" easily. I'm thinking new mount bushings or a good used assembly from a later car might be easier.
Any idea which model years are the same as a '68?

·
Registered
563 Posts
they are all the same!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
The plastic side-play shims disintegrate over time.

I too made my own side shims to go between the ends of the T arms and the rubber silent, out of some plastic, I forget whether nylon or Delrin. I took the measurements and had Norman Racing turn them on a lathe. They look like a giant C. The insertion slot is a bit thinner than, with a larger center than matches the end bushing inner shaft size, so when pressed in, they pop into place and the thinner slot keeps them from falling out. And for a belt and suspenders approach, I put a wide hose clamp around the outside. So far so good, including 4-5 track sessions.

Andrew

1 - 14 of 14 Posts