Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Under the car again, repairing a rear exhaust hanger when I realized I have never resolved an issue with attachment of the top of the vertical links to the ends of the anti-roll bar.

The bar has been centered and the l/r travel adjustments tightened, but the top of the vertical links feel very loose on the bar and I think I could almost push them off if tried hard enough.

Are the attachment points of the bar and links just supposed to be a tight fit or am I missing a part that holds the vertical links in place?

Diagrams indicate no such part. How tight a fit should there be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
There have been a few other posts on this topic. They should be a tight push fit and not move at all on the bar, but the replacement bushes can vary in size.

When I did mine I had a set of bushes from Alfaholics that were so loose the uprights did just slide on and off the bar. I contacted Alfaholics and they replaced them with no fuss, after measuring a set on their shelf to ensure that they would be a tight fit.

With the new ones installed in the uprights I had to use a vice to press them on the arm and they don't budge at all.

Nick

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently size does matter...

Thanks for your reply, Rick!

After my post I did additional research and came upon this from Classic Alfa, on your side of the pond:

"Rear anti-roll bar lower bush. Fits into the lower end of the long vertical arm from the bar to rear trailing arm bolt. This bush has the correct internal diameter to fit correctly on to the trailing arm bolt. Many suppliers sell the same bush for both ends of the drop link - this is not correct. Original part numbers were 1620.10.012 for the upper bush and 105.48.25.653.00 for the lower bush. 2 bushes required for each car."

I notice suppliers on this side of the pond do not differentiate in regard to upper/lower and sell a single size bushing for all four locations.

I'm also wondering if the loose fit may be the source of an annoying clunk (is there any other kind?) from the rear. Ever since I replaced my transmission mount, a number of previously subdued sounds have become more prominent. Vigorous shaking of all other rear suspension components indicates the upper drop link bushings to be the only areas of loose fit.

Oddly, my lower bushings seem snug, so the different size, as quoted above, would not appear to be an issue. The parts are not that expensive, so I'm going to replace all four.

Another thought. Maybe I reversed the links, top to bottom, during some long ago work in the rear. I'll have to look closely at the drawings.

Finally, you mention needing a vise to press on the new bushings. As I recall, removing the anti-roll bar from the car is not a picnic. The fasteners are easy enough, but the fun begins afterwards. In addition, tight fit of new bushings would require special attention to positioning of the upper bushings, since they will no longer rotate freely.

Unless someone else has any ideas, I believe I will get the bushings from Jolly Old :smile2:.

All the best.

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
If your sway bar is not centered. It will catch on the spring mount which can give you anywhere from a rattle to a clunk. Alfa had a problem with this in the late 80's. There should be a piece of rubber and a hose clamp on each side of the sway bar to the inside of the sway bar mount bracket. This keeps the sway bar from moving side to side so it won't hit the upper spring mounts.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jim.

I check X2.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YIPE!

$36 shipping on a $30 order.