Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, we've talked about this long enough - time to just do it!

Group 2 Motorsports will build (and offer for sale) a fully-adjustable rear Camber and Toe setup for all '80s and '90s Alfa Romeo transaxle models! This would include Alfetta Sport Sedans, European and South African GTV4, all Alfetta GT and GTV6 models worldwide, '80s Giuliettas, as well as Milano / 75 models... Did I miss any?

Anyway, a few pics to follow - What's going on here!? No rear suspension!?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As an option, additional modifications to the DeDion tube will include a sectioned and boxed-in relief at the insde-rear of the tube, to allow for rapid removal of the standard transaxle, without removal of the DeDion tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
An additional option will be removal of the standard spring perches and the standard shock mounts will be shored up to carry the weight of the car!

This will allow installation of coil-overs (such as the Ron Simons RSRacing fully adjustable race setup or other coil-overs), that can be installed in the standard shock position.

On the customer end, one would need to also reinforce the upper shock mounts in the chassis of the car - behind the rear benches in a street car - to carry the loads associated with the corner weight of the car, as well as bump and rebound...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Additionally, participants could opt to have the Watts-link center mount relocated to the bottom of the tube on a lowered car. We need to explore this more to determine viability and benefits, but it is an option!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now for the big one!

These uprights get sectioned and modified with additional steel bracing, a cam setup for the toe adjustment and a turnbuckle and locking setup for the camber adjustment!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Last, but not least - buyers will have the option of the stock rubber front DeDion bushing installed, this spherical joint piece installed, or the poly bush installed.

Tubes will be sand-blasted, powder-coated and fitted with new wheel bearings.

Speaking of the bearings, one of the other ideas also floated, is to come up with a lower cost / better alternative / more readily available rear wheel bearing setup, that will still accommodate the stock Alfa wheel hubs and axles.

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,073 Posts
deDion Modifications

A bad bunch of modifications!
Additionally, participants could opt to have the Watts-link center mount relocated to the bottom of the tube on a lowered car. We need to explore this more to determine viability and benefits, but it is an option!
Now why in the world would anyone want to lower the roll center? The roll center is too low at the factory`s top mount.

As an option, additional modifications to the DeDion tube will include a sectioned and boxed-in relief at the insde-rear of the tube, to allow for rapid removal of the standard transaxle, without removal of the DeDion tube.
This only seriously weakens the deDion tube which is already flexable. As well, the deDion tube does not have to be removed to remove the transaxle.

Threads exist that show the deDion tubes on these cars are easy to reinforce and reset camber and toe.

After one is built and tested is the time to chase $$ JJ!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Those rear flares are awesome... Are they available? Just curious, shipping to Australia would be a joke...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks great . The Imsa 75 has a tube to lower the watts linkage just below the standard mount position which was homolgated for racing . Look forward to progress .
By the way the most flex we get on the Dedion when running 17" slicks is where the cast iron hub joins into the Dedion tube . The issue was taken care of on the sz with that box section .
You still have to drop the front of A frame to undo gearbox mounts to remove gearbox an if you doing that you can tilt the box high enough which is a real pain if you have heavy race springs to drop box out . I can see merit in quick removal if you have springs 50kg and greater as you don't have to get two fatties to sit in the boot to counteract the weight when jacking up the Dedion to the tilt .
Long story short it's only another half hour to remove gearbox so I probably would not bother with that slot but really look forward to the rest of set up .
Is this deigned for outboard discs as that's also where you get twist under braking when guys weld brackets onto the hubs .

·
Registered
38 Posts
jungle, I've a question.. with your configuration (same my) getrag + 6 diff, how many camber/toe do you use in rear? I ask because I must modified the de dion

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
jungle, I've a question.. with your configuration (same my) getrag + 6 diff, how many camber/toe do you use in rear? I ask because I must modified the de dion
Casta28 -It's been a while since I've looked at Ron's specification for his own cars that are set up with RSR suspensions, but I recall something in the order of 1.5 to 2.0 degrees total toe in for the rear and about 1.5 degrees of negative camber per side... I want to finish the adjustable rear DeDion heads, so that I can test different configurations. Right now, we cut and welded the tube with permanent toe and camber setups, but that will all change once we finish the adjustable hub heads!

On another note, we are modifying two GTV6s with heavily altered rear suspension setups.

Customer project 1:
Will run a Corvette C5 Z06 transaxle - completely converted over with the rear sub-frame, torque-tube, front mounted clutch assembly etc. The car will run a naturally aspirated 24 valve Alfa 3.45 litre big-bore engine.

Project 2:
Will run a forward-mounted 6-speed Getrag transmission (just like I run on my 3.7 Milano), except with a complete BMW E46 M3 rear sub-frame, suspension, hubs, brakes, trailing arms and differential converted over into the rear of the GTV6, with a twin turbo-charged 3.0 litre 24 valve Alfa V6 engine in the nose.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Looks great . The Imsa 75 has a tube to lower the watts linkage just below the standard mount position which was homolgated for racing . Look forward to progress .
By the way the most flex we get on the Dedion when running 17" slicks is where the cast iron hub joins into the Dedion tube . The issue was taken care of on the sz with that box section .
You still have to drop the front of A frame to undo gearbox mounts to remove gearbox an if you doing that you can tilt the box high enough which is a real pain if you have heavy race springs to drop box out . I can see merit in quick removal if you have springs 50kg and greater as you don't have to get two fatties to sit in the boot to counteract the weight when jacking up the Dedion to the tilt .
Long story short it's only another half hour to remove gearbox so I probably would not bother with that slot but really look forward to the rest of set up .
Is this deigned for outboard discs as that's also where you get twist under braking when guys weld brackets onto the hubs .
Well, we're thinking options, or "Stages" of mods to suit various levels of desired mods... For an all out modification, yes, this would include ears welded to the hubs to receive rear, outboard brake mounts...

As far as moving the pivot point for the Watts as with the IMSA homologated modification - yes - that's the mod that I was referring to but not everybody gets it. ;)

I already had outboard brakes (4-pots with 8-pot Praggias up front), but they were a one-off setup that I had built in South Africa. Group 2 Motorsports (when we developed the bolt-on street-track setup based on full floating, hard-anodized GiroDisc hats, vented rotors at the rear and the 4-pot Wilwood calipers up front as seen here - Alfa Brakes ? Group 2 Motorsports - also developed a full race setup based on huge AP calipers and the same (but larger) GiroDisc hats and huge rotors!

Because I have now acquired the company (and I want to run on my own car what we promote here at Group 2 Motorsports), I just completed an "upgrade" to the full race G2 / GiroDisc front and rear setup on the 3.7 Milano (as seen in the pictures below here.) Something else that I did simultaneously, was to re-drill the hubs and the hats to a 5 x 100 bolt pattern to open me up to a much larger range of wheels...

Attachments

·
Registered
11,633 Posts
Do we know what modifications were made to the front suspension of the IMSA race cars? I'm wondering if the front roll centre height was modified also to go with the rear roll centre modification ... ?

I personally think roll centre heights are car and setup specific, and I guess driver preference related too. I know the Aussie V8 Supercars, even when they ran beam axles for the rear (axle located by a Watts linkage), had an adjustable rear roll centre so they could tune the car during a long race. Was a quick pitstop adjustment.
Pete

·
Registered
218 Posts
Casta28 -It's been a while since I've looked at Ron's specification for his own cars that are set up with RSR suspensions, but I recall something in the order of 1.5 to 2.0 degrees total toe in for the rear and about 1.5 degrees of negative camber per side... I want to finish the adjustable rear DeDion heads, so that I can test different configurations. Right now, we cut and welded the tube with permanent toe and camber setups, but that will all change once we finish the adjustable hub heads!

On another note, we are modifying two GTV6s with heavily altered rear suspension setups.

Customer project 1:
Will run a Corvette C5 Z06 transaxle - completely converted over with the rear sub-frame, torque-tube, front mounted clutch assembly etc. The car will run a naturally aspirated 24 valve Alfa 3.45 litre big-bore engine.

Project 2:
Will run a forward-mounted 6-speed Getrag transmission (just like I run on my 3.7 Milano), except with a complete BMW E46 M3 rear sub-frame, suspension, hubs, brakes, trailing arms and differential converted over into the rear of the GTV6, with a twin turbo-charged 3.0 litre 24 valve Alfa V6 engine in the nose.

I cannot wait to see more pictures from these new projects. I have always dreamed of the Corvette transaxle drivetrain underneath a GTV6 or Milano. Has anyone else in the world swapped in the Corvette drivetrain into one of these cars? I wonder how much floor cutting is required.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To my knowledge, both conversions are a first into a GTV6...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts