Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here...Alfie (as she likes to be called) did really great at the Arizona emissions inspection (which is a real toughie). Wish I had a video of her dancing on the rollers, through all 5 gears, up and down the RPMs to 65 mph; coasting to a stop then off again to 65. Took her 4 runs (and two drivers..second guy was better on holding her to the test parameters) to get through. Inspectors thought she might have a muffler leak which was throwing the test off, so I was happy that it could be an easy fix! Was able to watch the test from the safety of a blast shelter about 3 feet from her with no noise barrier, I mention this cause nothing bad happened to her during the test (no missed shifts, no grinds ect). Anyway by the time we were done we'd backed the line up a bit so I was in a hurry to get out of there. Jumped in and low & behold I had no clutch!!!! Pedal was stuck down, with about 2" of play (guess from habit my first start step is to depress the clutch, with engine off, was able to move the shift lever though through the gears, so put her in second, started her up and hopped out of there. She fired up and was able to get her home, in second, through 10 red lights (1 complete stop, lucky she started again and hopped off, 7 green & lucky we only had to run 2 reds) She's a donation/auction girl (auction is a no drive one, could start her and move her about 2 feet forward and back but that was it) so I have no history except the odo says 139K miles. Title suggests that the PO only put 600 miles on her in the 6 years he owned her. When I first got her I checked all the fluids and thought there was fluid in the clutch cylinder (but when I opened to cap, saw the screen was damp and not wanting to get break fluid on my hands, assumed it was full, but cant swear to the fact that there was fluid in the clutch master reservoir). Anyway now the reservoir is empty (I would assume if I had an "air in the line" problem I'd have a spongy pedal with full travel vrs a stiff stuck one). Other observations: no leak at master clutch cylinder; clutch fork on firewall, connecting to master cylinder, moves in tandem with the short throw that the pedal has. It's still dark out but at first light I'll check for leaks under neath In doing research on the forum I've learned about "frozen"/stuck clutches where the clutch wont release, but posters dont mention anything about the clutch pedal. Cure for a frozen clutch is to drive her about with the pedal depressed, straining the drive line to try and break the clutch from the fly wheel. But not sure this is my problem??!! Sorry for the long post, but wanted to get the symptoms out there. Thanks in advance for all replys...Paul 89 Graduate

·
Premium Member
21,690 Posts
I once had a throw-out bearing arm that wore against the bearing to the point where it became ****ed against the bearing, and in that position would jam and be very hard to depress. You can see the arm from underneath, whether it's twisted. Not a common problem, but it happens, especially with the cheaper aftermarket bearings.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
14,000 Posts
Hook your foot under the pedal and pull it up and then push it down again while someone watches the linkage to the master cylinder. If the linkage barely moves then you have a broken pivot as Eric suggests. But the lack of fluid in the reservoir points to a leaking slave cylinder. Pull back the boot on the slave. There should be no fluid inside.

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
My guess is that the clutch pedal pivot's weld has broken. It's a common issue.
Yea, it's likely that the gorillas at the test center were stomping on the clutch pedal, and that was the proverbial "straw that broke the clutch pedal pivot's back".

Sounds like you have two problems: the broken pivot weld, and a leaking slave cylinder. Just because the reservoir is empty doesn't mean that the system is totally dry - there was probably enough fluid in the feed line and MC to have kept the clutch working. But eventually that last bit would drain out, and the system would fail.

Do they teach that thing about paragraphs in the Phoenix schools?

·
Premium Member
21,690 Posts
I've been driving Alfas daily since 1977 and haven't had the broken pivot weld yet, but it does seem to happen to a lot of folks.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Happened to mine recently...
Rewelded it very strongly and it still felt odd...
It turned out that the real issue was the flex pipe from the X-member to the clutch slave cylinder... it was old and swollen shut.
This is why the pivot broke in the first place!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all replys! Looks like I've got both problems (failed pivot and slave)! Just ordered from IAP..looks like I've got my Thanks Giving weekend fully booked.

Appreciate...notice paragraph indentation!!! LOL

Paul....89 Spider

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doing my research on procedure and have discovered "gadwhite's" procedure posting (via the link I found) has been clipped at the, remove the clevis pin dilemma!! Anyone have a link or copy of the complete procedure?? Thanks Paul

·
Registered
8,084 Posts

·
Administrator
17,012 Posts
Doing my research on procedure and have discovered "gadwhite's" procedure posting (via the link I found) has been clipped at the, remove the clevis pin dilemma!! Anyone have a link or copy of the complete procedure?? Thanks Paul
Click here for the whole thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts