Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I rebuilt the head on my 86. Driving home from work today I got a bit curious. There was a good stretch of freeway in front of me that was clear of cars. I was cruising along doing 80 and decieded to see what kind of power was left in reserve. I floored it and quickly hit 105 then I got chicken and returned to 80. At 105 thats alot of wind in the hair :D And still felt like I had quite a ways to before topping out. Anyone know what the top end is for a spider? I'm to chicken to find out :eek:

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I used to routinely hit 110 mph in my stock '87 Spider on the interstate. (Once a week going to the airport to catch a very early AM flight...) On a couple of occasions I have hit 120 mph, but upon seeing that speed I have backed off quickly. Nothing wrong with the car, but I have just felt it prudent to not push it more than 110. At 110 the Spider feels very good for sustained periods, and it doesn't seem to stress the engine.

Best regards,

·
Registered
151 Posts
When I was 18 I had my dad's (now my) 91 up to 120. I would never do that today, if anything goes wrong, you're toast, especially in that little car, but when you are 18 you feel indestructible.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The idea when you get older and mortal is to make sure that if you wad it up, you don't suffer during the process.

I'd rather die at 120 than be mearly mangled at 90 ;)

(tbh, I tend to avoid roads where speeds of that level are easily done. Anyone can go fast in a straight line, but there's a lot to be said for the ability to go around a 30 mph corner at 50 or 60, and where top speeds are more in the neighborhood of 80-90. Much more sporting and entertaining than all out speed IMO)

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Yeah, but you don't want to go off road during your fun. Where I live, the secondary roads have no shoulders, and the penalty for a mistake can be severe. Also, remember the only difference between oversteer and understeer is which end goes through the fence first...

... but there's a lot to be said for the ability to go around a 30 mph corner at 50 or 60, and where top speeds are more in the neighborhood of 80-90. Much more sporting and entertaining than all out speed IMO)

·
Registered
572 Posts
I recently drove 500 miles 'averaging' close to 90mph. Held the needle over the 100 mph mark for 150 miles (keeping a keen eye out for smokey's), routinely touched 110! Car had plenty left, didn't push it beyond that though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
170 Kph

I had an '89 Spider when I was stationed in Germany years ago. I ran it for sustained periods on the Autobahn at 170 KPH (about 108 MPH, I think).

That thing screamed! Wish I could have brought her home with me.

Stan

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Also, remember the only difference between oversteer and understeer is which end goes through the fence first...
That's why I try to set for some semblance of neutral.

It always makes you think twice (and not press the envelope too hard) when you know the first thing that will hit when you lose it is the door.

Understeer just agitates me to no end :p

Oversteer? I grew up driving RWD in snow country. *shrug* (doesn't mean I like it, but it's a far more familiar sensation than gross understeer)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts