Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No, I have not gone completely around the bend; I would like to lighten-up the Alfa-coral a bit and something has to go to make that happen... I can't make my mind up on what to sacrifice, so - in a way - I will let the market decide! Three of the nicest Alfas I have ever owned are up for sale then!

Body & General; I have a long sweet history with this 1988 US-spec 75 / Milano Verde (Americana) that I bought about 7 years ago; I picked it up on my birthday and it has been a great car! We just completed some major paint and body-repair and suspension updates; I am reluctant to call it a restoration - it's more of a resto-mod! The car had a MILD fender-bender a few years ago that damaged the hood-latch support, the hood, the right front headlight and the front bumper (and this was what prompted the entire rebuild)! The exterior was just recently prepared professionally and re-sprayed in a beautiful, deep black (several coats) with several coats of clear-coat! I can't say enough about how beautiful this car looks! I have a brand new carbon fiber hood and trunk on the way for the car, so it will be super cool with the black paint!

All rust issues have been addressed on the exterior body as well as down below on the chassis and in the engine-bay. There was absolutely zero rust on the rockers or under the Verde trim around the rear fender arches. What little surface rust was under the tail-lights was addressed, new floor-board sheet metal was welded in and the front jack-points were reinforced!

I have an original 75 (Twin Spark, Evo etc) plastic rear bumper on the car and a fiberglass reproduction 75 Evo from Lester on the front! The smooth sides - devoid of the stupid accordion shock-setups looks amazing! This is also a sunroof car, but the weight is down around the 2700 pound mark! The battery has been relocated to the trunk, so the balance on the car is amazing! Since the rebuild, the car has not been tracked at all, but I have a brand new set of 15" x 7" Team Dynamics ProRace 2 rims with brand new Nitto NT-01 225/50/15s on there that we could talk about as well...

Engine; I retrofitted a 56K mile 3.0 litre 24v engine from a 164 (crate-supplied brand new - directly from Alfa Romeo - back in 1998 for a local 164 customer). The 44mm chrome intake-runners were installed from the 3.2 litre 156 GTA, as were some custom Stage II GTA intake cams from Glenwood Motors! Lifters were serviced, compression test is high and even and the motor just screams! I run the top of the line Pro-X model, fully-programmable, stand-alone engine management system from GoTech with a brand new custom harness; recently dyno-tested laying down 220 horsepower at the rear wheels and 200 pounds of torque! Custom headers - ceramic coated - and a custom exhaust front to rear!

All belts, pulleys & tensioners, the water pump and t-stat all have less than 5K miles on them! The A/C pump, condenser and A/C lines were all eliminated, but we retained power steering (running a 164 P/S pump and custom hydraulic lines)! The alternator is a small custom Bosch unit and runs on a serpentine setup along with the water-pump and P/S pump.

Brakes; Installed the full-house Group 2 / GiroDisc setup with 4-piston front Wilwoods and some brand new Ferodo 2500 pads! The front runs a custom, vented brake disc with custom aluminium, floating hats. The rear has some brand new (spaced) calipers - again on custom, vented rings and custom aluminium, floating hats and the same Ferodo 2500 pads! The brake-setup is infallible with absolutely zero fade (even when I would run three 20-minute back-to-back track-sessions on a warm day on occasion). We chose to convert off of the ABS system on this car and go with a manual, boosted setup! For the 24v conversion I installed the (flatter to the firewall) Alfetta / Spider booster with an Alfetta pedal-box! Custom stainless-steel braided lines front and rear naturally.

Driveline, Wheels & Tires; installed 3 brand new GUIBOS and center bearing, balanced drive-shaft from DrivelinesNW, brand new left, right and rear engine-mounts and brand new tranny mounts! Installed all-new wheel-bearings - front & rear - and had some 17" x 7" Speedy wheels powder-coated white - just BEAUTIFUL on this car (but the Willwood brakes will accept standard 15" wheel)! Tires are some BRAND NEW 215/40/17 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1s.

Transmission; before Andrew Garcia dropped-off of the face of the earth, he actually built two really nice 4.10:1 final-drive ratio limited slip differential gearboxes for Jes and I - this is one of them. ALL of the gears were cross-drilled and back-cut to lighten them dramatically; even the little reverse gear / idler gear was lightened a bit - this is all key to improving the shifting in these cars! The rear flywheel was a brand new core maybe 5,000 miles ago with a brand new 4-puck race clutch installed. The flywheel was lightened by 20-25% and the entire unit was re-balanced! The box was never raced and spent it's entire rebuilt life in this car, but has seen about 2-3 track-days.

The gearing is perfect for the 24 valve motor that just LOVES to rev-up and the grip coming out of corners is unreal! The LSD had the two very expensive existing clutches replaced and two additional clutches installed for an effective 50-55% lockup!

Suspension; the full RSRacing setup from Ron Simons - and I mean ALL of it! I'm running stock Verde torsion bars and then the RSR front coil-overs with 115kg springs and RSR 50kg rear springs and shocks. I run the full RSR front and rear anti-roll bars and the full rose-joint watts center and arms. I had new gussets welded in to support the front anti-roll bar center mounts as well. The car has brand new Polly bushings in all last remaining spots (at least where I didn't do heim-joints - like the tops of the front coil-overs and the tops and bottoms of the rear shocks)! For the DeDion front bushing I also run a poly-bush on this car! I recently converted the front castor rods to the 105 / 115 ball-joint setup - what a difference! Alignment done a few weeks ago - the car is read to enjoy!

Interior; pretty stock - other than a Momo suede & leather steering-wheel and a leather Momo shift-knob (and the shifter that was reduced in length just a smidge to clear my right knee). The Standard Recarro driver-seat was relocated back as far as it would go, but the OEM slider mechanism was retained and still functions, so now a real tall driver is as easily accommodated as the Italians! I have installed an after-market stereo system in the car that can stay or go - it is a Stereo / MiniDisc head-unit with a brand new trunk-mounted MiniDisc changer and remote (yeah, I still have some of those)!

The drive is a great deal of fun; things really come to life at 2-3K and at 4K RPM all heck breaks loose! The nice part is that the car is as docile or as wild as you want it to be. It loves to just putz around town at 2500 rpm and when you get on it, she goes like a scalded cat!

The entire history (in my hands) for this car is documented with lots of pictures here - http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1987-1989/22872-3-0-litre-24-valve-conversion-street-verde.html

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...and a brand new windshield! What a difference (after years of driving with the pitted old glass - almost had to check and see if there was even glass in it)! :D

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Sound great JJ -
But, where's the car and what's your price point? ;)

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sound great JJ - But, where's the car and what's your price point? ;)
...in Granolaville, Washington - where else...!? :rolleyes: If I told you Seattle, would you please come and lift the car from my garage so that I can submit a claim against my stated-value policy!? :D

Any way, I have right at 40K USD in the car as it sits today! I will discount and forego the value of an average Verde from my asking price, as well as reduce it by the cost of all of my shop-bills for modifications and general maintenance over the past 7 years, as well as deduct the cost of the new wheels and tires and I'll even throw in the brand new carbon fiber hood and trunk that I am installing today.

All I seek to recover from the sale is the cost of the full RSRacing suspension, the Group 2 / GiroDisc brakes, the Garcia gearbox & clutch, the cost of the 24v engine-package, the cost of the Evo front & rear bumpers and the new paint!

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
40K minus 15K = 25K or it can just sit right where it's at today (in my heated garage, waiting on sunny days...)! Way too pretty to take more than a 15K loss and way too much to replace it. Not holding a gun to anybody's head. Not asking for any favors either. ;)

I have two guys semi-interested, so we'll see! Appreciate the interest guys, but as it sits today -

1) 4-5K for an average Verde.
2) 5-6K for paint and rust repair (they ALL have it - once you strip them down...)!
3) 5K or so for the Evo front and rear bumpers, the carbon fiber hood & trunk, the wheels & tires, new windshield, steering, shift-knob, exterior door-handle seals, new decals etc etc etc (and then the paint / clear-coat / mount & balance / shipping & installation - all of that stuff...)
4) 3K+ for the RSRacing suspension.
5) 3K+ for the Group 2 / GiroDisc brakes
6) 10K for the 270 horsepower 24v engine package - including the GTA Stage II cams, 44mm GTA intake runners, custom headers, programmable EMS, harness, conversion to fit the TA layout - TIG-welding & ceramic coatings, all new GIUBOS, balanced driveshaft etc.
7) 4K for the Garcia 4.10:1 Platinum box with 4-clutch LSD, lightened and balanced flywheel & race-clutch, lightened and shot-peened gear-set etc.

That's - what - 35K (plus all of my personal labour and then the shop-labour to install all of the above - add another 5K)! Then I have about 5K & 3K into the two initial rounds of catch-up on deferred maintenance (from when I first bought the car - like relocating the battery to the trunk, all new bushings and larger torsion bars, Konis, IAP springs, driveshaft balancing etc etc - all stuff that went away), but I won't even talk about that!

So, yeah - well over 40K in it (come to think of it)!:eek: Nobody can build this car today for under 35K! 25K is very fair.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Based on what I have seen (and it has been a year or so since I last saw it) that is very reasonable price. It certainly doesn't cover all the passion you have in the car John.

Good luck with the sale!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I can't think of any new cars in that price range that will outperform it. I know what it costs to do this type of work, and it's a fair price.

Greg

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Why the hell didn't you sell me this 3 or 4 years ago when I first called you? (and had the money... :eek:)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Just saw the car in person yesterday... WOW! Beautiful body, carbon fiber, amazing engine...! Very hot car, and leather interior still in the works? Someone is going to get a superbly sorted car! Good luck with the sale John.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Family matter forces a sale as parts or as a whole car! Please check the thread under the Milano / 75 threads for more details!

Open to reasonable offers please.

1) 24 Valve 3.0 litre 10.0:1 compression V6 engine package for sale with 3.2 GTA intake cams, 44mm GTA intake runners, custom intake plenum (to fit the engine into any transaxle Alfa) and the custom mild-steel headers to facilitate the same. Optional - the GoTech Pro-X fully-programmable, stand-alone engine management system with custom wiring harness, or all of the components needed to run the stock 164 LS / Super Bosch fuel and ignition setup – stock plenum included.

The package made a documented 220 horsepower at the wheels on the CarbCon dyno in Kirkland - the same as an E36 24 valve 3.2 BMW M3 motor on that same dyno. Likely around 270 crank output! I would entertain offers in the $4-$7,000 range (for a package that we sell via Glenwood motors in the 10K range.) The motor still has less than 60,000 miles on it. Was a very low mile motor when I pulled from my 164 LS.

2) Full Ron Simons RSRacing suspension system including front coil-overs with mid-range spring-rate for street track, rear shocks and springs with matching street / track rate, front anti-roll bar with adjustable heim-joints, rear anti-roll bar with adjustable heim-joints, adjustable Watts links with rose-joint center pivot and adjustable heim-joint arms etc. Everything suspension that you can buy for a street/track setup from Ron.

The custom-welded / gusseted front sway-bar mounts will have to stay with the car. This suspension really is the end of the road for these cars in terms of a daily-use street/track setup! A $4,000 package - make me an offer reasonably north of $2,000.

3) A complete, bolt-on, VERY effective G2/GiroDisc brake setup from Group 2. Includes the 4-pot Wilwood calipers up front, custom vented rotors, with floating aluminium hats, stainless steel braided lines, custom CNC anodized aluminium brackets - all a bolt-on fit that will even fit under the stock 15" rim! For the rears it is again a vented custom rotor with floating anodized aluminium hats, custom spaced stock calipers and upgraded Ferrodo pads all of the way around!

A fantastic setup all around. Two drivers running all three sessions back-to-back all day long of a hot summer track day, could not get these brakes to overheat, fade or otherwise fail! A $3,300 package - make me an offer well-north of $2,000.

4) 4.10 final drive ratio 5-speed transaxle with a 50% to 55% lockup LSD, built by Andrew Garcia (before he went the way of the dodo bird.) All gears cross-drilled and back-cut to remove significant weight from gears and shafts! Even the little reverse-idler gear had some weight removed. All gears shot-peened. New syncros installed at the time (we can perhaps do them again for the new owner to ensure a known good setup.) The LSD had the extra set of clutches installed and the lock-up increased to about 50-55% and the box has a 4-puck race clutch installed.

What is even more significznt about the gearbox, is how much it improved handling! It is AMAZING the overall difference that this setup made to the car! Another $4,000+ item. I'd like to see offers well-north of $2,000 please.

5) Clean title, black, 1988 Alfa Romeo Milano Verde roller. Recent paint (3 years and driven PERHAPS 1000 miles since paint and garaged / covered since then.) The paint isn't perfect, but the car looks really good! Original Recarro interior in reasonable shape. Momo leather and suede steering wheel with 75mm RSRacing CNC aluminum hub-extender, leather Momo shift-knob and newish custom floor mats.

Optional would be the European front and rear bumpers from the Alfa 75. Fiberglass front. ABS plastic rear. Both painted and color-coded at the same time that the car was painted, installed and matching this car beautifully! Shipped to the US, prepared and painted - Offers need to be above a $1,000.

Optional would be the beautiful, custom made, stock fit, carbon fiber hood and trunk-lid! Those sold for $1,600 per set. They are perfect and NO LONGER AVAILABLE, so I will only discount them a little bit. Make me a fair offer.

You end up with a car that has a balanced drive-shaft, very new GIUBOS, custom 17" wheels from Speedy in Australia and the problematic ABS converted to the more predictable and more reliable conventional power-assisted brake setup! You get a sweet sounding and very free-flowing custom exhaust system that exits the 75 bumper at the rear in the middle (where the 75 bumper has a cut-out) and a nice oval single tip! This thing flows and sounds amazing! The battery is already moved to the trunk for you and I have a BRAND NEW windshield already installed! Does $2,000 for (what is today) a nice running, SUPER performing, beautiful, painted Verde - not including the hood, trunk and bumpers - sound fair?

Anyway, guys – call me with ideas / suggestions / offers please! I have over $43,000 in the car (well-documented) as you all know. I was trying to get $25K for the car. Times are tough and I am under pressure. The parts and the car as listed here add up to somewhere around $17-$19? Do the math. 425.766.4278 – or email me via [email protected] or [email protected]

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
JJ,
So much work, and such a shame to part out such a nice car. See if you can't get a decent offer on the whole car!
Jes

·
Registered
104 Posts
modfear, some thought on getting the car through CARB --

As I understand it, California will certify a car that has the powertrain from a newer car installed. The challenge is, it has to be complete as it was installed in the newer car. That means all emissions equipment, ECU, exhaust (including cats), and the induction has to be essentially stock. While I think you could find a friendly CARB referee that would approve the differences between 164 intake and Milano intake, the aftermarket EMS is going to be a certain fail.

In simple terms, it's very unlikely this car could be registered in California.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts