Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The best remedy for insomnia=NASCAR oval racing! It puts me to sleep faster than ANY sleeping pill.

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
I'm a Big Nascar Fan, go a lease 3 times a year. I love it. To each their own! During the race I always take a nap, watch the 1st hundred laps, nap for the next 100, and wake up to watch the last 200 to the end. Well don't knock it until you been there and actually seen a race, cause TV does it no justice. Been to tracks from Daytona to Martinsville and in between. A great experence. Driving an Alfa to a Nascar race is a trip in itself.

·
Premium Member
21,713 Posts
In the early 70s I used to go to Langley Speedway in Hampton VA for Saturday night local NASCAR; each week a GN star would run to bring folks in. It was the best of down-home local racing.
Saw one race at Riverside in the mid 60s and one of the 500s at Ontario during its brief existence (1975 maybe) in the red/blue Petty days. I was a big, big Petty fan, probably a result of my formative Virginia/Mopar years.

Stock cars on road courses are fun.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
I also go to a local track here in Vermont "ThunderRoad" and I see Ken Squier & Tom Curley who run this track. They're the 2 guys who convinced CBS to broadcast the Daytona 500 in 79 and I watched it and was hooked. Went to my first Daytona 500 in 84 and been there 20+ times, got to get out of VT, it's cold! It's an experence to see this race and never BLAST Nascar unless you've been to one of their events and have a reason.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
We went to the race at Talladega year before last. 33 cars on the last lap, half of them upside down coming out of the final turn. Only 7 cars finished, two of them were on fire, and one of those was rolling backwards.

Don't knock it until you try it.

We were about to go this year but I had to WORK! (what???)

I'm hoping to go next year. I hear they are planning a hockey game after the race next year!

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
was not putting NASCAR down.. more fun to watch on road courses than round and round, unless you like to see big wrecks... it was just a funny cartoon

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
That it was. Funny. And I know real race cars don't have any fenders. But still, their brand is loud and fast and lets face it... you could race wheel barrows and I'd watch it.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Years ago a bloke called Bob Jane built a small oval just outside Melbourne, Australia. So we went out in our Alfa's and held a few events. It was amazing. Until then I'd never been interested in oval racing and if you'd asked me about the skill needed to drive them you'd have got a very short answer.

But the feeling as you drop down into a turn is unreal. Get it wrong and woooo...! Get it right and yaaahhhoooo!!!!

Of course our 105's with their road circuit spring simply dropped down onto the bump stops which made for some rather abrupt handling, and looking where you're going wasn't so easy because the roll cages didn't consider having to look up at 1 o'clock. But we went back several times, and even ran combined road and oval events. That was another thing again.

It wasn't Daytona but it was fun. Lots of respect for those guys.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I remember the first time I drove on the high bank oval at Texas World Speedway. I was not expecting to have to look up to see cars ahead of me were doing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
NASCAR

I have to say, I'm not such a fan of NASCAR, and especially on the ovals, and the short track racing.... The attraction here is just a mystery to me. The cars look all crammed onto a little bitty course going about the same speed as a bunch of commuters in downtown anybigcity! That said, when they wrestle those big heavy "stock cars" around the occasional road course, it's pretty good stuff.
For what it's worth, if I have to watch an oval race, Sprint cars are a lot more exciting than NASCAR for my money, especially in real life.
-just my $.02.

·
Premium Member
21,713 Posts
Heading off any nastiness before y'all start rubbin' paint. I fear this difference of opinions could get ugly, so please stay civil. They's all kinds a' people and all kinds a' racin'.

Andrew, with mod hat on.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Andrew don't worry!

Bianchi NO offence what so ever. Everything you Post is interesting. It Sparks us!

Just want to let you all know I watch every form of racing, F1, Indy, Rolex, Migets, etc and NASCAR put the bug in me. In 1984, my 1st Daytona 500, seeing Bill Elliott going by at 210 MPH around that track and this year his 18 year old son Chase, Champion of the Nationwide Series, 30 years later. Hardest racing today. A "manual" car over 3000 pounds

Like I said you got to "GO" to a NASCAR race and you'll see. I'll be at the 2015 Daytona 500 and Dover in early June. Look me up! We can talk ALFAs at the Tailgate party!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts