Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got everything ready for the engine/tranny swap. All along the journey I was eyeballing the exhaust manifold down pipe flanges, noticing they looked pretty rusted and gonna be a bear. I went to squirt them with PB but, of course, the can picked that moment to become non-operational. I got everything else done and had to at least see... yep, no budgy. I just ran to the hardware store to grab some and squirted them down with a few taps. I will hit them daily until my work week is over and try again. I certainly hope they break loose, there really is no way to get a grinder in there to take the heads off...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,622 Posts
Just unbolt the headers from the head, pull them against the L fenderwell, and secure them there with wire, rope, whatever. The headers + downpipe won't be in your way while removing the engine & trans. Once the engine & trans are out, you can lift them out and attack those six bolts on the bench.

Replace the old hardware with steel bolts and brass nuts to prevent this problem next time around.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that tip, Jay! If the PB doesnt free them up I wont fight it... I was wondering if the manifold would be in the way if I left it. This is my first time on an Alfa so there is much to learn....

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This exhaust was obviously custom fabricated by the PO. The downpipes merge directly into the cat, dual pipes out of the cat into one rear muffler. A strut is welded to the side of the cat to a brace... looks very well made but certainly not stock.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This exhaust was obviously custom fabricated by the PO. The downpipes merge directly into the cat, dual pipes out of the cat into one rear muffler. A strut is welded to the side of the cat to a brace... looks very well made but certainly not stock.
Your manifolds are the ‘74 and earlier US/euro 2 piece manifolds. They are factory on euro S3’s and a lot better flowing than the one piece that was original. If it’s also using the correct front exhaust section that’s not the catalytic converter it’s just a resonator.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you're using that Header I'd go with the 3 wire O2 Sensor. It being further away from the Head (heat source) means it's slow to react which means default tune when stopped at traffic lights etc The heated sensor is supposed to perform slightly better (or so I'm told). I've just done mine a few weeks ago and I'm hoping it improves my sooty startups.

Nice looking donor engine!! Best of luck with the transplant.

C

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the engine out today after work. Took less than 20 minutes by myself. I didnt split the driveline, just disconnected at the guibo. I think the trick was using a ratcheting strap. On the way out I looped the crank pulley and over the lift arm. That allowed me to adjust the angle of the dangle past the firewall. After I had it clear I moved the strap to grab a guibo bolt ( in gear) and the hoist chain. That leveled everything out a bit to swing it over the nose and onto the floor, you can see it in the pic...Easy peasy! I hope going in goes as well. Now to begin cleaning the NASTY engine compartment, install some loom covers, etc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, went out about 10 this morning and got the engine/tranny back in fairly quickly. That was my plan for the day. Then I got underneath and said to my self, " I should get the crossmember and rear mount done for support". Next thing is is 3 in the afternoon and have most buttoned up. Still have vacuum lines, radiator, and run power for the new electric fan and a few other things. Then a run over the check list to double check.... I will probably fire it up next weekend and begin the break in procedure...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Just buttoning up the last few things, rad/electric fan, bleeding clutch, fluids,(living in the sticks nothing I want is available locally). Covid-19 has put a bit of a damper on my progress due to taking care of family and trying to acquire stuff amidst the ridiculous hoarding....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts