Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Have removed the starter motor on my 24v (a real endurance test) and once it has been rebuilt will be replacing but not sure what can get away with on the gasket front.

The gaskets in question are those on the rear exhaust manifold-head and manifold to flexi-pipe. They look intact and in perfect condition so can I re-use them? If replacements were readily available I wouldn't be asking but this is an Alfa and not a new one at that. Having to buy an entire head set kit just for 4 gaskets seems a little excesive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Richard

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
shoudn't be an issue and if all else, you can always change them out if need be. Good luck

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
If the gaskets are copper you can heat them up good and hot and then drop them into a pot of hot water to quench them, they should then be able to be re-used. Another trick I used to hear about was using silver model paint, but that was from the old school guys.

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
If center sealing ring and fiber good on 60654239 exhaust pipe to exhaust manifold gasket go for reuse.

Same for the 60573536 almost square shaped thick manifold to head gaskets on a 24v V6 engine. I think reuse of these 24v gaskets should be more forgiving than copper head and stainless pipe ones used on 12v V6 engines.

I had a few 24v spare gaskets I sold to Frank some time back.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys.

Get the rebuilt starter back tomorrow and will go for re-use of the gaskets - could be last sunny-ish not cold-ish day before winter kicks in so don't want to lose it waiting for gaskets to arrive.

Will post a note if any failures after re-use.

Cheers,

Richard :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts