Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Re-routing the fuel lines from interior of cab

Why would Alfa Romeo ran fuel lines through the cab? :( I have done a search but didn't find anything about anyone re-routing these lines?

I don't have to worry about the gas vapor line that goes to the front canister but the fuel return and supply lines needs to be re-routed. What would be the best way to do this?

Thank you,

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
thru the cab???all my line run beneath the car.....the fuel feed and return lines are run next to each other..someone must have had a 'better' idea, before you bought your car...on the reun line just get a 10 foot leanth of steel line shape as needed, cut exest off.. plum rubber lines on.. there are 35- bendable thinges thet hold the lines to the car body, just oute the return line next to the feed line..

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Yah, through the cabin doesn't even sound right, nor has been done for decades for safety reasons that I'm aware of. (well, other than the old veedubs with the gasoline heaters)

As bianchi said, the feed and return should be running side by side down the centermost side of the right 'frame rail'.

If you do go with a re-route (you should, really......) and since you've got that sexy race thing going on, mayhaps instead of going soft line into hard line then back to soft line, you might investigate that sorta new fully SS braided EFI fuel line that some of the hot rodders and racers are using these days.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
All the gas lines go through the cab!!!

Are the both of ya saying that I don't have gas lines running through my cab?

I tell you for sure I do and so do you (if you have a S-4 Spider don't know about other Spiders).........................1-line for the gas supply, 1 for gas return line and the other is the gas/vabor line and all are OE.

On the pictures:

See the 2 lines directly under the roll bar on the bottom picture notice that they go to the gromet directly behind the computor and over the fuel pump. Then look at the fuel pump pictures both the fuel supply and return lines go through that gromet into and through the cab back to the fuel tank. The third line in the interior picture is the gas/vapor line that goes up to the canister in the right front fender.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
I don't think that's correct. Fuel lines through the cabin would be a liability nightmare for a manufacturer.....

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I don't think that's correct. Fuel lines through the cabin would be a liability nightmare for a manufacturer.....
Hi John,

It's all right there in the pictures and it was brought to my attention by the shop that did the roll bar. They wanted to move the lines because their kinda in the way of the back bars untill they found out what they were, as it is I have been moving them out of the way to fasten the bar in.

They highly recommended to get them moved out of the passenger compartment........... said something about a safety issue. :D

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll trace the lines back to the tank (bet they run through the through the trunk shelf and under the carpet to the fuel tank) and take some more pictures sense no one seems to believe me. :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
I would move them, regardless of how they got there.
The lines in the '88 and '78 both leave the tank, travel to the shelf in the trunk, and then penetrate the trunk floor. Underneath, you can see them come through above the axle.
The penetration location shown in the second photo does not look right.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I would move them, regardless of how they got there.
The lines in the '88 and '78 both leave the tank, travel to the shelf in the trunk, and then penetrate the trunk floor. Underneath, you can see them come through above the axle.
The penetration location shown in the second photo does not look right.
OK, I got some more information and pictures of what is going on.

The fuel lines run along the left rear quarter around the wheel well into the cab then runs acroos the back of the interior rear shelf wall and down through and out the cab and hooks up into the pump under the car.

I also found some un-used OE gromets and fuel line hold down tabs that must have been for the way they used to run the fuel lines from the tank to the fuel pump, just like John said his gas lines run.

Thanks John for all your help,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
The fourth photo seems to show a sealed opening on the left-side of the picture.
That looks like the opening where the fuel lines should leave the trunk.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The fourth photo seems to show a sealed opening on the left-side of the picture.
That looks like the opening where the fuel lines should leave the trunk.
There is a signal gromet there but there is 2 gromets at the bottom of that picture looks to be a better exit location because of the 2 holes (fuel in, fuel out) plus it lines up with the tap that would hold the fuel lines on the underside?

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
If what you've got is factory, then that's insane. (not saying it is or isn't stock for an S4, but if it is..... wow.... just wow......)

The grommetage in the two posts above are where my hard lines lines go through (odd that you appear to have no hard stuff at all in the trunk area. to me that's kind of indicative of someone getting creative at some point) and make various transistions from soft to hard to get things over the diff and around the underbody shape there before they terminate in soft stuff again at either the fuel pump or the hardline that the fuel return hooks too.

Beyond that, they run right side by side down the rail to the firewall.

Now I'm seriously curious as to whether that which you have is the stock setup for S4 or not.

BTW, never said I didn't believe that you didn't have lines going through the cabin. More that I couldn't believe that would be a factory 'thing' in the day and age in which yours was built. :)

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,073 Posts
Stuff in the trunk looks the same as my S4, as does the stuff underneath. I don't remember exactly where the hoses go under the rear decklid.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Murray
Your first picture is a great picture of the unobtainable hose to the fuel pump someone else was inquiring about. Much different set up than my 82. I replaced all the rubber gas lines underneath my car and can tell you mine do go into the truck shelf. Mine had hose back from the pump inlet to steel to a very short hose then back to steel going through up to the truck. The return line went up through the trunk next to the supply line. Hopefully someone else with a series 4 can shoot some pictures to show how they are set up.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Any S4 owners out there? With pics of the upper trunk?

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
If what you've got is factory, then that's insane. (not saying it is or isn't stock for an S4, but if it is..... wow.... just wow......)

Now I'm seriously curious as to whether that which you have is the stock setup for S4 or not.

BTW, never said I didn't believe that you didn't have lines going through the cabin. More that I couldn't believe that would be a factory 'thing' in the day and age in which yours was built. :)
Hi Darren,

I would bet $100 that what you see is OE........why would anyone change the gas lines to run them through the cabin? Plus everything looks OE (no Jerry rigging).

No problem I wasn't made at anyone I was just taken back with the dis-belief of my set up and just plain woke up in a bad mood this morning. :)

Stuff in the trunk looks the same as my S4, as does the stuff underneath. I don't remember exactly where the hoses go under the rear decklid.
I was thinking of you Tom when I was taking pictures of the trunk's rear shelf because I have taken out the vapor/gas expansion tank and plug the lines and knew if I had show that in a picture I would catch hell from you.:) I abandon the entire system and drilled a hole in my gas cap (heck the new engine has zero emmisions now, the cat is gone and I was tired of the gas smell). :)

I will say if you pull back the carpet on the back wall of the cab you will find the fuel lines just like mine.

Murray
Hopefully someone else with a series 4 can shoot some pictures to show how they are set up.
Hi Steve,

I would like to see picture of an older Spider fuel lines in the trunk and at the fuel pump to see how it's plumbed?

Any S4 owners out there? With pics of the upper trunk?
John,

Yes I would like to see this too.

As a general note if this is how Alfa Romeo did the fuel lines on the S-4 Spiders and maybe the 1989 and 1990 Spider too an alert thread on the BB might be a good idea to at least make the owners aware of a possible problem?

For my Spider being used as a dual purpose car I really need to re-route the gas line out of the cab before the next track event!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Kind of unbeleveivable that the factory would run the lines through the car but that is indeed what the pictures seem to indicate. I have an s3 and while it has its share of unique Alfa engineering, the lines are under the car where they belong. I assume a fire extinquisher came standard in cars with the lines running inside.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts