Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can my locks be re-keyed to be the same for all? my berlina has a key that fits the trunk but not the doors and i have all 4 nos exterior door handles but left and right handles are both different keys. i really do not want 4 keys for lt. thanks

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Re-keying Locks

can my locks be re-keyed to be the same for all? my berlina has a key that fits the trunk but not the doors and i have all 4 nos exterior door handles but left and right handles are both different keys. i really do not want 4 keys for lt. thanks
I can't understand your concern...my Berlina has either 4 or 5 keys to it also. Yes, the simple answer is that the car can be re-keyed so that they all match. The more difficult question, finding Alfa key blanks or you will have to accept a non-Alfa key.

We have had several cars with this problem re-keyed; but in the "day" when blanks were readily available. The simplest way is to remove all the locks and take them to the locksmith or else drive the car down there and leave it for as long as it takes. Pat's preference was to have me deliver the locks to the locksmith and Pat would re-install them when the re-keying was completed.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. i didn't know if it could be done on alfa locksets. i'll check locally

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Please be aware that there are four different types of lock cylinders. Each type can be identified by the first digit in the four digit key code and will be either a 2, 4, 6 or 8. A #2 key will fit only into a #2 cylinder, a #6 key only in a #6 cylinder, etc. So in order to single key the locks, all the cylinders must be of the same type.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i probably have one of each. between the nos handles and my originals maybe i can mix and match

1 - 5 of 5 Posts