Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Can anyone give a recommendation on a radiator shop, preferably in the Philadelphia area, that does re-core work on the old radiators? Mine is from a 67 Duetto. If I can rework the existing one for a reasonable price that's my preference. I also see that new reproduction radiators are available from England. Does anyone have experience with these? If I can't find a recommendation on a re-core shop I'm hesitant to just go to the guy down the street. So picking up a reproduction radiator my be the way to go.

Thanks for your input.

Regards, Al

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
A good shop will be able to recore your radiator easily. Maybe best to contact the local club guys or an Alfa shop to see who they use.

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am not sure if you know this but there is a place in Levittown, maybe on Newportville Road, called Alfa Performance Center. I heard about it on the BB. Perhaps they can recommend a place. I moved out of the area some time ago and personally know nothing about the place, or if it is still there. Worth a try. Eventually I figure my radiator wil need to be re-cored so saved this contact information from an article in Hagarty's Car Magazine a few months back -Powel Radiator Service (973) 382-2096. It is in Essex County, NJ and is probably no further than Philadelphia from Yardley. They were mentioned in the magazine as an expert in restoring radiators. Good Luck.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. Lot's of good info on the bb as always and Jim99 thanks for the specific references. I'll check into them and give an update on my finds.

Regards, Al

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought I'd give an update on what I ended up with on the 69 Duetto radiator recore. I stopped into City Radiator Inc, Levittown, PA and based on speaking with the very nice guy there (Brian i think) and the detail he put into his inspection on the radiator and quote he wrote up I decided to have them do the work. They were not cheap but when I got the radiator back I was pleasantly surprised. Turns out they made the new core up to spec based on the old radiator at their shop in Philadelphia. The result is a correct configuration for the 1967 radiator (i.e. number of rows of vertical tubes and horizontal cooling fin configuration). This place does radiator rebuild for cars but the bulk of their work is industrial and big machinery. The only two points I was not thrilled with was the "City Auto Radiator" tag soldered on to the upper tank and the unattractive core coat paint job. Given I redid the paint on the upper tank I took the occasion to remove the tag. I put the radiator in before I though to taken pictures but I did take some with it in the car.
Regards, Al

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts