Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all. Curious to know if anybody has had experience with re-anodizing the lock strips used for windshields? Mine is very old and good as well as scratched. I've removed the old anodizing and am getting ready to sand and polish it. However, I'd like to re-anodize to protect it long term. Just curious if others have experience with this and whether it is worth the effort and expense. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I assume you could get it anodized locally (Berkeley) for less than the cost to replace it from one of the usual parts sources. You’d have the added benefit of knowing it fits (assuming it isn’t bent in the process) compared to the effort that some have to go through to “massage” their repro pieces in the corners to get a proper figment.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
  • Doubtful, platers charge a minimum for plating and anodizing. Better off calling APE or another shop that might carry the clips.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have been having the same thoughts, assuming you are referring to the extruded aluminum that sits all around the front and rear screens? Mine were trashed by the previous owner on disassembly but I have since picked up a couple of sets on ebay, which need tidying up.
There must be a diy method of re anodising that would work?

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Google DYI ANODIZING. You can do it but if not careful will get poor result. Also may not be worth the cost and effort for a 1 off.

Ken

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I've dug around a bit and a minimum anodizing charge in my neck of the woods (San Francisco Bay Area) is about $80. Yesterday I started sanding/polishing one of the two sides of the window surround and found a couple of gouges that are just not going to come out. Something the anodizer told me that caused me pause too is they need to know what alloy the metal is to make sure the finish works out correctly. I have zero clue what the specific alloy in these old lockstrips is. Anybody?

On the flip side, I test fitted a new lockstrip that I got from Classic Alfa for my front windshield (which previously had been installed without one at all) and with only a modest amount of massaging it went into place really well.This piece runs about $225.

So, between the cost of re-anodizing, some lack of confidence as to alloy and finish, plus several hours worth of sanding and polishing to questionable result, I think I will more than likely just spring for a new one for the rear also.

I'm going through a similar debate now with my gas tank. Refurbishing locally is $400, whereas a "new" repro is only about half of that from Classic Alfa. What to do....

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I must say the repro tanks SUCK, unless it different from Centerlines tanks, don’t bother. A friend purchased one for his Gtv from IAP before they sold, the neck was about 20-30 degrees off, when I shortened the next I also positioned it correctly. I purchased a tank from centerline for my Ti, the neck was totally welded incorrectly, I sent it back and had my original tank redone. Save yourself time and money, refinish your original tank, at least you’ll know it fits correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts