Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with a GTV6 or Alfetta had any experience with a rattling handbrake control rod? [In the attached image, the control rod is in the rightmost diagram (basically it's the rod that connects up to the button).] I've already tried tightening the button, then switching out the spring, leaving off the outermost washer, and replacing the button, but it continues to rattle away in the housing -- particularly on the freeway where it gets a little annoying. If anyone happens to have any suggestions, I'd appreciate them!

poki

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
wow...

that sound is super irritating. I drive with my hand resting on it.

rivals the noise of the noisy clock!:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At least now I know I'm not imagining things -- I rest my hand on it too, though I would like to find a better solution. I was thinking of trying to put a rubber bushing of some sort in there, as I think the noise is coming from the two washers rattling against the inside of the housing.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Mark me in the column of "rests their hands on it" :D

I did once, on a long drive, wedge a wood toothpick between the button and the housing so I could have both hands on the wheel...

·
Registered
491 Posts
im willing to bet if one were to wrap the spring assembly in electrical tape, the noise would stop. it should still function fine as well.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I, for one, have gotten callouses from resting my right hand on the E-brake lever.
It is actually where I relax my arm between shifts, I mean, you can drive a LOT of backroad miles in 3rd gear. I have also put a rolled up jacket right in back of the hand brake to make a "console" to rest my arm on, while keeping in 'striking range' of the shift lever,,,

Truth be told, I have driven manys the thousand miles with a finger or two on the shift lever,, to dampen the vibration from that too,,,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts