Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help for the mechanically impaired would be much appreciated.....

I had a set of EBC Greenstuff pads fitted to my front calipers a month or so ago.

There has been a metallic rattling/jiggling noise evident for a few weeks when the left front wheel hits bumps/corrugations/manhole covers etc etc.

The noise stops when I have the brakes applied. Figured that this meant it was probably something loose in the brake set-up (I am a genius, blatantly :|)

Removed wheel today and played with pads. Found that outside pad moves freely approx 1mm side to side (i.e. not toward disc and back).

There appears to be slightly too much room where the "pin" goes through the top of the pad (technical, i know, but i'm trying here).

Is there any way of 'chocking' or securing this to prevent jiggle? Or can it be remedied through other means?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help Forrest Gump here.....

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I don't think that is your rattle, I just swapped wheel bearings in mine and now have a similiar rattle on mine. But first, the pads slide on the pins, so you really want them to be as free as possible. I have a feeling mine is in the big splash guard behind the disk, I can hit my wheel with my hand and have it rattle a bit, and only on the left side. Let me investigate mine tonight and I will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
So what you're saying is that if you apply the brakes you have a huge play (in brake terms) back and forth in the caliper?

1. Remove pads
2. Bin them
3. Make note on list never to buy from crappy supplier again
4. Buy good pads
5. Install

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
If I'm reading this correctly, you have a rattle in the left front that goes away when the brakes are applied. Correct?
If so, I would suspect brakepad rattle. Quite common actually on all makes a vehicles. There's a product here in the States, called disc brake anti-squeal or something like that, that is applied to the back of the brakepads. Basically what it does is lightly glue the pads to the pistons to prevent rattling and squealing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Papajam,

That sounds like exactly what I'm after. Will have a look around.

Although I did just have my front wheel bearings done like SamW. Co-incidence methinks as the rattle was definitely there before. It does seem to be more insistent and noticeable though......

I take it you are not a fan of EBC Greenstuff, Mats? You do appear to have vast experience so any suggestions would be more than welcome for my next set of pads. Although I think you slightly misunderstood my description. The pads do not move when calipers are engaged....only when wheel runs freely. They just seem to sit too loosely on the piston/rod/pin when slack.

Thanks for your help guys. Hopefully I get it sorted soon.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
My rattle was the splash guard, a slight tweek and no more rattle, yours, if yours is truely the pads, must be due to bad hardware or missing hardware, the spring for the pins should keep everything from rattling. The thick center part pushes the pads in while the thin spring under the pins pushes the pins out, so look at this picture and see if you have everything there.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts