Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking advice for my 1973 GTV which has become a bit of a rattle trap over the years. My car when i bought it had Bilstein shocks, centerline springs and is lower than stock. I replaced the front shocks with Spica units but plan on replacing all four soon with Koni red classics which are sitting right here in my office. I don't mind the firm ride because i don't drive it every day but i do drive it frequently. However, lately i have noticed how every bump elicits much noise and consternation all around me and especially in the suspension department. Of course i probably already know the answer to my question in theory; but what is the process for going about fixing this situation? Best ways to track down and quiet some of the rattles? My car just doesn't feel solid like it once did. I want to correct that!
Any advice would be appreciated.
Michael

·
Registered
82 Posts
Replace every suspension bushing with new RUBBER (not polyurethane). If it's still too noisy for you after new bushings, buy a louder exhaust and/or radio.

If you find it's still too loud after all that, go buy something German! :p

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Front end especially makes noise when loose. Front ball joints in addition to bushings. You might have an experienced Alfa person check for loose/worn stuff while up on a lift. Other things can cause noise too, exhaust and brackets, driveshaft and mountings, motor mounts, things not secured, stuff in the trunk, worn shocks, on and on.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
13,488 Posts
Replace every suspension bushing with new RUBBER (not polyurethane).
I say the opposite. Many aftermarket rubber parts are of poor quality and they either have a short life or do not fit properly. Some of the early poly bushings were too hard but Andy Kress at Performatek sells good ones. Some are available in two versions, one for street and the other for track.

Andrew's approach is best. Check all of the ball joints first. The lower ones usually get loose before the upper ones. Inspect the bushings and if they are cracked or separating replace them, but deteriorating rubber bushings will not usually cause rattles unless they are falling apart.

·
Richard Jemison
7,189 Posts
The most common causes of rattling are the sway bar mount bushings and the sway bar link bushings. As well the upper caster arm bushing (rubber pressed into the main upper arm), and it`s front ball joint .
Steering rod ends are as well easy to check for wear.
These are easy to check and replace.

Similar issues with the rear sway bar links.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
If the front/rear ends have never been worked on we're talking 45+ year old components. I would replace everything, ball joints, and bushes. You will fall in love with your car all over again especially one that looks as good as yours does.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,083 Posts
Most of my GTV rattles are on the interior. I got this one in the dash that might be the tach that's driving me nuts.

Agreed that your car looks quite sweet.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great advice gentlemen and i really appreciate the pep talk. I will look into Performatek and see what they have. I struggle with 'want' and 'need' decisions on a regular basis as it relates to keeping my car in good driving and looking condition. I want to be a worthy steward. Finding the balance with work, life, children, etc is the trick. I did spray some silicone and some aerosol grease as a temporary solution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts