Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Florida rats/mice are known to love good Italian food. One in my garage proved it's true. It chewed through the driver's side wiring harness of my 1986 Spider under the carpet covering the shelf behind the driver's seat. It chewed it completely through the harness in two places about 7 inches apart. I need to solder new wires in place of the 7 inches or so of wire the rat cut and chewed up. However, each end of the harness has 2 solid yellow wires in it (in addition to a yellow/black wire). How can I determine which of the yellow wires are the correct ones to re-connect?

Also, what is the correct wire size for this? It looks like it may be 18 gauge or slightly larger, but the wire isn't marked. I can't tell for sure and don't want to use the wrong size.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
820 Posts
Florida rats/mice are known to love good Italian food. One in my garage proved it's true. It chewed through the driver's side wiring harness of my 1986 Spider under the carpet covering the shelf behind the driver's seat. It chewed it completely through the harness in two places about 7 inches apart. I need to solder new wires in place of the 7 inches or so of wire the rat cut and chewed up. However, each end of the harness has 2 solid yellow wires in it (in addition to a yellow/black wire). How can I determine which of the yellow wires are the correct ones to re-connect?

Also, what is the correct wire size for this? It looks like it may be 18 gauge or slightly larger, but the wire isn't marked. I can't tell for sure and don't want to use the wrong size.

Thanks!
no answer to your wire question but moth balls keep them from doing that

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Rats indeed!
The wiring diagrams show that one of the yellow wires powers the RR tail lamp and side marker while the other one is for the trunk lamp. They both start at pin #6 on connector G73 (under the dash behind the fusebox) which means it does not matter which one goes where.
Stock wire size is 0.5mm (20 gauge).

·
Registered
325 Posts
Rats!

I'm about an hour north of you and have had similar rodent issues in the past.

One got in my garage and chewed through my Yukon's brake reservoir.

Sprinkling some of this stuff down before you put the carpet back down will help to keep them away.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rats indeed!
The wiring diagrams show that one of the yellow wires powers the RR tail lamp and side marker while the other one is for the trunk lamp. They both start at pin #6 on connector G73 (under the dash behind the fusebox) which means it does not matter which one goes where.
Stock wire size is 0.5mm (20 gauge).
Thanks Papa. I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Lew- and anyone else who is having rodentia problems, google a product called "ROPEL" or maybe "RO-PEL". It worked very effectively in one situation- a remote Texas ranch with a barn/workshop full of vehicles and equipment which sat unused for long periods. This product apparently made the wires VERY unpalatable to the rat's taste. It was applied from a spray bottle, dried quickly, and did not leave a noticeable odor to humans.
Available online I think, and from hardware stores, farm supply stores, etc.
This worked well for the rodent problem, but unfortunately didn't do much to discourage the rattlesnakes that followed them indoors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts