Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
engine compartment. 2 wires, one pink the other white both inside the same black tube have been cut. I can trace them back to the harness on the passenger side firewall. Can not find where they connect to engine. Engine runs but idles very rough. Any help appreciated. Bill

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Off hand I am thinking that these wires go to the oxygen sensor in the front downipes. If my memory is correct, this would probably explain your rough idle. Only going on my memory here, and my memory has proved to be increasingly faulty as the years go by. Go down to the oxygen sensor and see if you have a pair of wires trailing along the underside of the car. If not the oxygen sensor, then they probably go to one of the temp sensors located on or near the intake manifold. Your car has an engine temp sensor and an ambient air temp sensor, both of which feed info to the Bosch FI computer located behind the passengers seat.

Robert

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The wiring diagrams show pink and white wires going to the reverse light switch (located in the bellhousing).

·
Registered
820 Posts
you can help solve the mouse problem with moth balls... and if they are chewing your wires ( and they will destroy the car in short order because they will chew ALL the wires ) you also need to look in the airbox and all the usual places where they will build nests. this is a real problem that you just can't fix those two wires and ignore. you have to defeat them somehow long term or your car is reallllllly going to suffer. wait until the build a giant nest in the exhaust system and plug it and the cars stops running...

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
any lights or gauges inoperative?

engine compartment. 2 wires, one pink the other white both inside the same black tube have been cut. I can trace them back to the harness on the passenger side firewall. Can not find where they connect to engine. Engine runs but idles very rough. Any help appreciated. Bill
Check the gauges and indicator lights in the instrument cluster - are any of them no longer functioning? For example, as Papajam says, a Pink and White wire connect to the button switch at the Emergency brake. Not sure if that wire goes forward into the engine compartment before it goes thru the firewall to the cluster but possibly. Does the "Park" light come on when you set the park/emergency brake?

There is also a Pink/Black striped wire that goes to the Speedometer Impulse Generator along with a Grey wire (that could look like dirty white). Does your Speedometer work?

In what area of the engine compartment did you find the cut wire ends?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The speedometer is not working. And it did before the pack rat attack. The two wires in question are about 18 inches long and lead into a harness through the firewall. Any idea where these wires connect in the engine compartment? Thanks, Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts