Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Rare wheel collection Delta Milano and Mille Miglia

For Sale 
7K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  ossodiseppia 
#1 ·
I am selling my Alfa Romeo wheel collection to fund new projects. I have offered some rare bertone wheels like Delta Milano, Mille Miglia and Melber for sale on auction through Catawiki on View my lots at the Catawiki auctions for this week

Feel free to ask questions. I also ship to US but due to weight will cost 300 €. Only the Delta Milano wheels have a reserve price of 500 euro, all others have no reserve.

#2 · (Edited)
Hello Nick. You have a nice bunch of wheels there. I am a Mille Miglia fan. If I was trying to sell mine I would be putting the size and bolt pattern size in the title. I found it confusing looking at so many MM trying to keep track of the sizes.

I would also be interested in knowing the date markings on the back side.

I see some MM without ALFA on front. I have one like that and wonder if you know more about why no ALFA.

Regards

Ken

Reactions: Schuey
#4 ·
BTW the red 71 GTV lic 071 GTV you show wearing those beautiful Mille Miglias is a GTV I owned 1978 to 1990. I still have the wheels and still shod with Yokohama 008 205 60 14.

Ken

Reactions: Pino F
#6 ·
Your title is correct but the description is incorrect in saying "These wheels will fit Alfa Romeo 105 Bertone models, 1300 GT, 1600 GT, 1750 GT Veloce, 2000 GTV and Spiders, Montreal cars."

#11 · (Edited)
Hi Nick,
I am not familiar with Catawiki auctions. I am glad you didn't list them on eBay (too tempting).

That is my Blue Montreal with the Delta Milano wheels shown in your auction listing. Although you see a similar set of Delta Milano wheels on my car, these wheels do not just 'bolt on' the Montreal. Also that is my Duetto with the Mille' Miglia wheels. We must have similar taste in wheels....

I know the Mille' Miglia and the Delta Milano wheels were originally not painted. The Mille' Miglia wheels came with a chromate conversion coating (or similar) to offer some corrosion protection.

Mark

#13 · (Edited)
Both the Montreal and the Duetto have the same 4X108 bolt circle. The Montreal brake calipers hit the inside of the Delta Milano wheels -due to the architecture of the wheel. For the record, I've never seen Delta Milano and Turbino used in the same description; unless it was contrasting the stock 'Turbino' wheel to a design, such as the Milano. When I bought my wheels, from Italy, they were identified as "R.B. Milano" wheels; I haven't seen that description again since.

The Delta wheels require about 15 mm of spacers between the Montreal hub and the wheel -in order to provide clearance for the calipers. This leaves about the bare minimum number of exposed wheel stud threads (7 or 8 I think).

I experimented with 24 mm thick, 4X108 to 4X108 adapters. This presented another set of issues, in that the adapters are installed on the wheel hub, using 'internal' thinner and smaller diameter lug nuts. These nuts are inside a machined 'lug' pocket in the 24 mm thickness between the hub and the wheel. The adapters I purchased came with all 'internal Right Hand Thread' lug nuts. Unfortunately the left side of the Montreal uses 'Left Hand Thread' lug nuts. No LHT lug nuts were available in a thinner and smaller nut size. Standard LHT lug nuts can't be tightened inside the lug pockets, even with a thin walled socket. In retrospect it might have been easier to hog out the lug pockets to a larger size but the nuts would still need to be shortened to fit.

Fortunately, a friend and club member who is a very skilled machinist, was willing and able to machine a beautiful set of smaller LHT nuts from my Duetto and a few from his own collection. Eventually it was determined that the 24 mm studs that came on the wheel adapters, were also too short for the Delta alloy wheels. The short studs required replacement with longer 35 mm studs.

In a nutshell, this entire project became just another expensive exercise in Alfa self-flagellation. I've seen other 105 cars with the Delta Milano wheels and suspect they just 'bolt on' the Spider and GTV but I haven't tried.

Mark

#15 ·
Yes, I've seen a set of wheels with letters on the spokes, like that. Delta went from absolutely no information at all on the wheels -to absolutely everything they could possibly think of.

Here is what the original surface looked like on this New Old Stock Wheel (less the tape residue).

Here is an original Delta wheel label if anyone reproduces them, please let me know. Some of the wheels in the large group of 7 wheels have all the information cast on the spokes.

Tire Alloy wheel Wheel Automotive tire Rim
Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Tire Auto part

Attachments

#17 ·
Hey Paul. Thanks for posting this. It is an unknown to me Millia Miglia wheel. It now is the third design of era MM wheel I know. One can see Millie Miglia on one spoke. The cap looks the same as used on the more common wheel except someone has drilled through it for a screw. There may be more info on the back side of the wheel, such as a casting date. Do you know the diameter, width and bolt spacing.

Ciao

Ken

#19 ·
This guy sold me a set of four Delta Milanos saying they were good wheels (worth shipping from Belgium to California). Turns out they were mismatched (different offset). Three of them are cracked beyond use (there was a light coating of spray paint covering the cracks) and the other one was bent.

I followed up with him very politely asking him to make good on the sale and he has since gone dark. I've talked to a couple of other folks and it sounds like he does a fair amount of trade in parts.

I personally would avoid doing any business with him. I can't imagine ever selling cracked magnesium wheels under the false pretense that they were usable. It would make me look like an idiot, a jerk or both.

I understand that people aren't perfect but there's always the opportunity to make good on a bad sale and in the process keep a good trading partner. Apparently Nick Denoo is not concerned if he burns a few bridges in the process of making small money.

Meanwhile, I've spent my wheel budget on a pile of magnesium scrap. No fun.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nomar66
#20 · (Edited)
Hi sorry to here of this situation. Nick Denoo had a lot of wheels for sale a while ago and I think he was also working through a Euro auction site or Kijiji like site (Cawtaki?). Is that how you found him or here on this BB.

Ken

#23 ·
Maybe I'm just lucky but I've never been scammed this badly when doing business with a seller on the alfabb. In fact, its just the opposite. I've met so many people through parts dealing - I don't know how I would have finished my Jr Zagato restoration with folks I found on this board. I'm very grateful for that.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.