Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to share my passion with you guys.

i have just finished restoring this Very Rare Original Autodelta Group2 16valve with spica injections!

what do you guys think?

cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
mm lovely prepared car...very appealing...what are the engine specs? They look like 13 inch alloys also. IS the suspension trick/adjustable all round and lightened? More details please!! Will you race it also?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mm lovely prepared car...very appealing...what are the engine specs? They look like 13 inch alloys also. IS the suspension trick/adjustable all round and lightened? More details please!! Will you race it also?

its the original Autodelta group2 16valve factory racing car, the engine is the autodelta 2000cc with spica injections around 220hp.

the rims are campagnolo magnesium 13 inch.

the suspension is from period.

yes its a fully race ready car. very rare one too.

·
Registered
503 Posts
locovski....thanks for the reply but i wished more details than you gave if possible like who built the engine? HAs it been on a dyno and if so what power is it giving because the in period power quotes were optimistic. The period gtam engines were based on the 1800 block bored out with one piece liners to 2000. Is this the same spec engine?
The original has trick adjustable watts linkage and dedion, and in aluminium also. Does your car mount the same?
The bodies of the grp two cars were also lighter by using aluminium and perspex glass but since there were only 2 berlina cars built both still in Italy I am guessing yours has an all steel body right?

·
Registered
503 Posts
thanks locovski but i wished to know more details if possible. I mean who built the engine? Jim Kartalamakis since it is on Greek plates?!

Did you get a dyno reading for power output since the in period power figures quoted were optimistic?

The gtam engines initially were based on a 1800 block using one piece cylinder liners bored out to 2000. Is your engine the same spec?
From memory I believe actually Cosworth helped with the 16v engine.

The suspension of the Group 2 cars had adjustable watts linkage and dedion axle, in aluminium also I believe. Is your car the same?

Also the Grp 2 cars had an ali/steel body with lighter glass. Is your car lightened and if so give details please.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey alfettapb and 2000 touring sp,

No not sent to kartalamakis, The engine was fully built inhouse.

Hasnt been on Dyno yet, just finished the car the other day.However i believe we will get good figures, will let you know.

its the original engine that came with it from Autodelta with the monosleeve. your memory is correct cosworth helped with the 16v engine.

The car came straight from Autodelta to Greece and was driven by a very well known rally driver of that period.

The car is original as it got out from Autodelta.

cheers.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
“its the original engine that came with it from Autodelta with the monosleeve. your memory is correct cosworth helped with the 16v engine.”

That is new for me, with the help from Cosworth. I am aware of that Angelini got some help from Cosworth in the construction of his cylinder head.
But the knowledge the Autodelta also used Cosworth, is new to me . Please inform.
Attach picture of a original Alfetta engine with narrow valve angel

Attachments

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Very interesting!! Fascinating car and motor... thanks for posting, and the tech information as well. I knew there were 16V motors built up for competition, but I didn't know much about the cars themselves. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The gtam engines initially were based on a 1800 block using one piece cylinder liners bored out to 2000.
2000 GtAm engines were based on 1st series 1750 block; but with 2 valve head.

The works picture clearly shows a 2nd series block with oil filter mounted to front cover and not to block like GtAm engine.

So why there is a comparison of a 2000 GtAm engine with a 4V Alfetta engine ?

The origin Zandvoort car driven by Stommelen/Facetti was painted in blue:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc/1973/Zandvoort-1973-08-12-021.jpg

·
Registered
503 Posts
Huntheshunt...you quoted what I already said but why? I did say that the initial gtam engines were based on a 1750 block but bored out. I inferred it was 2 valve which is common knowledge and so? I asked if the 16v engine that locovski has on his car was built on that specification, with the cylinders bored out, because the Cosworth/Alfa 16v engine I have little information on so I wished to know if the same block was used, so I was just asking the question for clarity, if only the cylinder head was changed or the block also in other words.

Of course I would like to see the engine block of Locovskis car since I cannot see it from the photos. Then one could make relevant comparisons with that works photo otherwise one cannot.

Maybe Locovski you could give some more history of the car since you say only that the engine is original Autodelta so what about the car itself?

·
Registered
503 Posts
...oh by the way hunttheshunt as I wrote there are two Alfetta autodelta sedan/berlina cars still active, one is the original blue and the other red.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
hunttheshunt thank you for the link....but that link was on the "engine repair" section of the forum which is "not" where i browse or pass comments usually so how would I have known? Locovski only posted some photos on this "alfetta" production cars section of the forum without showing the engine out of the car or reference to the other thread in the engine repaid section.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Arnold Chatz Alfetta

Find attached a photograph of the Alfetta raced in South Africa. This vehicle used the 16 valve type and the 8 valve GTAm type motor. Sadly this vehicle was abandoned to the elements, deteriorated, was stripped and parts scattered/sold worldwide.

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Lovely photographs. ALFETTA no.3 seems to have centrelock rims - have some of those. ALFETTA no. 6 seems to have 5 stud rims - I have seen and sold 4 stud but not seen 5 stud rims before!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts