Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '94 164ls needs tons of work, but it's mechanically sound and a great driver. Recently though, the transmission began changing into ice mode by itself from sport mode and auto mode. No specific conditions make it do this, it just randomly does it. Seems like it does it more though when I'm making a turn. Usually after pressing the switch several times it will go back into auto or sport. On a rare occasion it will stay in ice mode.

This morning I moved it out of the garage so I could work on my Triumph, and it was already in ice mode and it won't change back to auto or sport.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
My '94 164ls needs tons of work, but it's mechanically sound and a great driver. Recently though, the transmission began changing into ice mode by itself from sport mode and auto mode. No specific conditions make it do this, it just randomly does it. Seems like it does it more though when I'm making a turn. Usually after pressing the switch several times it will go back into auto or sport. On a rare occasion it will stay in ice mode.

This morning I moved it out of the garage so I could work on my Triumph, and it was already in ice mode and it won't change back to auto or sport.

Any ideas?
I try to imagine how driving in "ice mode" is like in Atlanta sumer :)?

I would suspect an electrical problem! Poor contact at the connectors or a relay is not latching due to increased resistance from poor connection. Or, at the switch! '94 auto tranny is (AFAIK) shift-by-wires so electrical connections are the first suspect.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.. it does seem elecrical because it's so intermittant.

Ice mode has been the cause of several headaches this summer in Atlanta's traffic =p

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I just take a quick look at the wiring diagram. The Electronic Automatic Transmission (CAE) control unit get a ground pulse from the ice mode switch as a signal to switch to ice mode. Try just disconnect the connector from the bottom of the ice mode switch (don't think you need that in Atlanta for now) and see whether that helps!

Edit:
Change my mind :)! Looking at the wiring diagram, I think the CAE control unit might like to see 12V at pin 10 (through the switch). If you pull the connector and it gives you ice mode all (or most of) the time, then you need to jumper the pink-black and green-black wires at the connector to pass 12V to the control unit.

The problem can also be due to other accessories (like power mirror, cigar lighter, door locks, ...etc) that are connected to the same F13 fuse that supply the two switches. If one of these other accessories pull the voltage too low, the CAE control unit might think it is a ground signal.

I would try clean the switch connector first as I mentioned in the first reply - it could be just a poor connection.

·
Premium Member
15,522 Posts
It does seem that with the 24v LS, and maybe Q, all the electrical connections you can reach, esp in the engine compartment need to be cleaned and lubed with dialectric grease. This has to be the first thing you do when trying to troubleshoot odd electrical happenings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts