Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
'74 spider, 100K miles, SPICA fueled 2000 that blows smoke and leaks oil. It's a tired motor with good spark. Overall it runs well.
Always starts on the second or 3rd crank, never misses a beat, sans the occasional backfire. I put about 80 miles on it over the weekend, had zero issues. On Sunday, I was in a parking lot trying to get over a sharp speedbump, when I stalled the motor (slipped off the clutch with no throttle). After that, it just wouldn't start. Had some tools, so I checked spark, all 4 plugs firing. Looked at intake, saw a bit of fuel coming out of the ports. Flooded perhaps? let it sit for a while. Still no go. So I got crank, spark, air, and what seems to be fuel, but it just wont fire!

Towed it home, replaced the rear fuel filter (doubted that was it), threw in new(er) spark plugs (already had spark, pointless), still no go. SPICA and throttle linkage all seem "okay" (I guess)... i'll be going through Roadtrip's SPICA diagnostic guides as well as Wes' SPICA manual. But I fear that something inside the pump broke - a spring, a retainer, or worse perhaps. Or maybe it's a short somewhere. I do indeed suspect SPICA at this point.

But I'll ask all of you - does this sound familiar? If so, what was it? Were you able to fix it?

And keep the "get some carbs" comments to yourself, I eat plenty of potatoes...:grin2:

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also note the primary fuel pump was making the classic whirring noise, so I believe fuel is being delivered to the SPICA...

·
Premium Member
5,909 Posts
I'd try spraying it with starter fluid just to see if it will pop. If it runs for a bit then it's likely the SPICA or the fuel system in general. I'd also check the timing - I've had dizzys slip which would result in a no start condition.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,890 Posts
74 Spider wouldn't have the inertia switch.
Have you determined fuel supply and pressure at the pump? Simple test is just to unhook the fuel line, turn on key. Won't tell you pressure, but if you get a decent stream of gas it should idle at least. Did the bump jossle the pump fuse?
Andrew

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
This may be dumb... injector belt..??

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Definitely check injector belt, they rarely break but sudden stoppage might have done it.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
and the answer is...??????????????

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
..and the answer is

I sent an email to Wes Ingram, and he suggested the following:

(1) In case the microswitch shorted from the impact, disconnect the wire from the fuel cut off solenoid.
(2) If it still won't start, remove the plugs hook them up to the plug wires and lay them across the top of the engine.
(3) Disconnect the CSS, (cold start solenoid). Crank with wide open throttle to clear the cylinders of spent fuel. Look for a blue spark.
(4) If you see any vapors coming out of the plug holes, leave it for one day with the plugs out.
(5) Hook up a battery charger, install a clean, dry set of plugs, hook up the CSS and let me know what you find.

Didn't start after step 2, so did 3, 4 and 5. Back up and running.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts