Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Giulia Super - Bollino D'Oro
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I recently acquired a 1968 Giulia Super with a 1600cc engine (bollino doro) I have always love the growl sound of the Alfa engines. My alfa has the big black round airfilter (see attached) with the cross engine air intake.

To get the deep growl sound I have removed the big black round airbox and the black plenum and just put a filter on the oval intake. I can hear the deep intake sound which I love, but its just not a desirable set up.

IMG_9982.JPG

Has anyone gone with rampipes and socks on a 40DCOE weber carbs?

Or should I hunt for a european airbox like the one below that came later? Any advice?

This is purely for audible statisfaction (and if I get some HPs, great!)

Thanks in advance..

Phil

·
Registered
109 Posts
The European box as such won't probably do much difference, although I've heard that people have drilled extra holes in the inner tube to get the intake noise.

·
Administrator
14,293 Posts
You won't get any HP, but yes plenty of people run trumpets with socks.

Don't loose you original cross over parts ...
Pete

Reactions: shakingthrough

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
Trumpets with socks will cost you HP. Long trumpets will mess up your torque curve.
Get rid of a muffler if you like more noise.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mates! I really appreciate all the comments and input.

I was also e-mailing with our friends at Alfaholics on what I envision for my Giulia. I simply love the deep growl of the dual webers and realize there is no HP gains via the intake. For those interested, I decided on these with socks:

For a little extra HP and noise I went with this exhaust set up:

I am keeping all the OG parts so anyone can take it back to stock in the future. This is all about experimentation and having a blast while doing it. Thanks again..
IMG_0083.JPG

·
Administrator
14,293 Posts
Cams would have been better money spent that extractors. Alfa knew what they were doing and didn't have to worry about emissions back then. But you are enjoying your car, which is what counts

Re the noise thing ... the absolutely great thing about my unmodified 156v6 is that it can be so very quiet, because noise all the time is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo annoyingly tiring. But it has enough induction/engine/exhaust noise when I stand on it to keep me entertained. The good thing is you are keeping the stock parts so if you (or partner) get worn out by noise all the time, you can start adding things back.

Pete

Reactions: shakingthrough

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear you on the noise/drone issue. I drive my Alfa in a relatively small town with many twisty country roads. I love the unique growl of the intake and the distinct Alfa tone of the exhaust so trying to amplify it is my goal.

For highway/freeway driving I pick my BMW 335is which is quiet and still a monster.

If you have cam ideas to share, I am all ears. I am new to the old timer Alfa scene so I welcome input and advice.

Cheers!

Phil

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also love the snarl of foot-down-hard, on-the-cam, wide-open-Webers. Back in the early '70s when I was (much) younger and (much) more reckless, I had a '67 Giulia Super that was my hot rod. It had 50 mm air horns on 45DCOE's. No air filters at all. I know - like I said, young and reckless. But the sound was glorious! I miss that car.

·
Administrator
14,293 Posts
If you have cam ideas to share, I am all ears. I am new to the old timer Alfa scene so I welcome input and advice.

Cheers!

Phil
10548 are the inlet (?, I think) euro cams that wake these engines up a bit. If you have not got these, a relatively simple change.

Just had a look at the cost of that Alfaholics exhaust ... heck! I have a great deal of time for Alfaholics (except their making of alloy panels so replicas can be more easily made) but honestly the 4 into 2 manifolds Alfa made for your car are very good. Even if I was hotting up an engine with cams and compression increase, lighter flywheel, etc. I would not change the exhaust manifold. Now if full race, yes of course.

They make these exhausts for the 1980s+ (?) American market where they had to suffer the restrictive 4 into 1 exhaust that was all about emissions, and killed power

Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts