Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hate posting with my phone... since pics r upside down at times

a couple more, that’s his Ingetrale Evo as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn’t look that closely... it was to cold for me to go talk to him...

U can ask rich aka gprocket, I think he had a hand in the build.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Nice seats. Where are they from (Recaro Pole Positions)? I guess they've been retrimmed?
Also curious to hear more about the seats...

Awesome car, Ralph did a great job.

paint / body by bradco (GProcket)
Close ratio transmission by "corrigan racing" (me) :)
Can you please provide more details on the transmission?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Fully seam welded front end?
Yep appears to be ... shudder (IMO).

I also noticed that the sill/rocker s/s trim is not fitting properly (probably fixed by now :)), which is odd on an otherwise amazing car.
Pete

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Alfaholics close ratio gears. REM finished. powder coated case.

From what i hear, so far so good behind the TS motor. lots of torque from those motors. I run a schwitters close ratio behind my 155 twin plug engine and also no issues (yet!)

Also curious to hear more about the seats...

Can you please provide more details on the transmission?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Yep appears to be ... shudder (IMO).

Why the shudder?
I’ve seen lots of builds where everything has been seam welded, indeed pretty much any engineering these days is TIG seam welded.

I know there are some (incl. you) who say it should be inch on/inch off.. but I’m yet to hear a cogent technical reason why this should matter. Other than allowing the seam to burst in deformation - which seems (pardon the pun) to be a very hap-hazard way to build in a crumple zone.

This is in an interesting subject for me as my Duetto is going back together now, and I want it to be as stiff and secure as is possible.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Why the shudder?
I’ve seen lots of builds where everything has been seam welded, indeed pretty much any engineering these days is TIG seam welded.

I know there are some (incl. you) who say it should be inch on/inch off.. but I’m yet to hear a cogent technical reason why this should matter. Other than allowing the seam to burst in deformation - which seems (pardon the pun) to be a very hap-hazard way to build in a crumple zone.

This is in an interesting subject for me as my Duetto is going back together now, and I want it to be as stiff and secure as is possible.
  • While we may want a shell as stiff as possible, the design of a 105 series shell is such that it will flex. It is not made out of carbon fibre, but is an old design that is only so rigid. So you have thin panels flexing and then where they are joined, you now have this huge rigid weld ... remember the inner guard panel is ~1mm thick. Even the bulkhead is not much more. Cracks will develop next to the weld.
  • If you want a stiff shell, put in a carefully designed roll cage that takes in the suspension loads.
  • All that welding will shrink as it cools. But they may have done it in multiple welds, to reduce the impact of this. Even when installing rollcages you have to be careful with your welding. I know of 911 Porsches that were bent when rollcages were welded in. Had to be put on a chassis straightening machine, rollcage tubes/welds cut and rewelded.
  • Modern car engineers go to great length to make modern cars handle well. This requires torsionally stiffer shells than previously years. They do not fully weld seams.
  • Even when a factory prepares a race car they do NOT fully weld a seam, they inch on and inch off. If they fully welded a seam, I'd be convinced.
  • I was always taught during my NZ Certificate of Engineering studies that LESS weld is better than more weld.
  • Yes I have "seam" welded the chassis area of my 1750 because while I have a spot welder, I'm not that confident in it's weldability, so yes it is inch on and inched off for the chassis/rocker side members and bottoms of door pillars.
BTW: This cars welds do not look like TIG welds to me, as too large.

But it appears to be based on an Alfaholics build ... they know what they are doing, you should listen to them not me. Regarding your spider, there are hundreds of these that have survived for ~40 years, why risk changing the formula. Make it as Alfa Romeo did IMO.

All just my opinion, of course.
Pete

·
Registered
10 Posts
A firm called Creative Classics (UK) would appear to do Alfaholics bodywork for them. Per the example on the Alfaholics website of their GTA-R build #21, within the 'chassis restoration 1' section they appear to employ an inch on/inch off welding technique (MIG).

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Photo of what FlyingBanana is talking about:

Pete
ps: We could be looking at seam sealer with this threads wonderful car, not weld

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts